Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning ID with radial grooving leaves unmachined material

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
kidd_milan
204 Views, 2 Replies

Turning ID with radial grooving leaves unmachined material

I'm turning a relatively simple part that has a wide internal groove and chamfers at both ends.  Thus, it needs a 2nd Setup for after re-chucking the part.  But the paths for cutting the internal groove leave a ridge of unmachined material in the center.  This is independent of vertical or horizontal passes, or forward/backward/both direction for horizontal passes.  

In the image "2nd setup, close-up," the cutter is moving in the direction of the red arrow, even though it has plenty of room to continue horizontally.  It's as if there's a construction plane parallel to (and coincident with) the face of the cutter, and it won't let that plane collide with the internal shoulder of the part, even when the actual cutter itself wouldn't collide.  I hope that makes sense.  The last image is set to vertical passes, but with the same result.

@akash.kamoolkar , @seth.madore , I've seen that you both do yeoman's work on these forums.  Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Milan

Full part, section viewFull part, section view1st setup, ID boring1st setup, ID boring2nd setup, ID boring2nd setup, ID boring2nd setup, close-up2nd setup, close-up2nd setup, vertical passes2nd setup, vertical passes

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Marco.Takx
in reply to: kidd_milan

Hi @kidd_milan,

I understand what you mean but the toolpath itsef calculates from the backside angle of the tool to radial groove the part.

Changing the insert to a other angle size insert you see it turns the profile perfectly.

MarcoTakx_0-1693380374549.png

So you have to change your insert type to get what you want.

If my post answers your question Please use Accept as Solution & Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Programmer & CAM Consultant

Message 3 of 3
kidd_milan
in reply to: Marco.Takx

@Marco.Takx , thank you!  So my intuition was correct on how it calculates the tool path.

Just this morning I realized that I could use an ID grooving tool to machine the groove out all in one go.  It could also do the chamfer at the chuck end, thus eliminating the need for a re-chucking.

All the best,

Milan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report