Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning a cam or a lobe, can it be done in fusion 360?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Chak257
518 Views, 5 Replies

Turning a cam or a lobe, can it be done in fusion 360?

Fairly self explanatory.  I dont actually have a need for this functionality at the moment, but its possible I may need to make a part like this in the future. I can do it in my mill if needed, but what about the lathe? Is it possible to turn a cammed shaft in fusion?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: Chak257

Negative. Fusion does not support eccentric turning or milling (well, unless you are standing it up on end, of course)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6

I have successfully created Manufacturing profiles to Grind Cam Lobes (multiple lobes along a cam shaft) using Fusion 360, despite only using the "student/personal" version's capabilities. 

My machine is a Sherline 8650 CNC Cam Grinder with aftermarket stepper drivers (nothing exotic).  My "tool" is a 7 inch diameter grinding stone and I remove 0.0001" per revolution.

Cam Milling Test v7.png

Message 4 of 6

That's quite interesting! Would you care to share your process so others may benefit from this hack you've worked out?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 6
Inflight_Design
in reply to: Chak257

Seth: Sorry, that feature is only available with a paid subscription.

I would be happy to share information on how to use your product but I'd bet within a couple months this feature would have the little blue stars and the feature would be behind a paywall and unavailable to the folks that help develop your program.

Give me a 2 year subscription and we can talk.

Message 6 of 6

@Inflight_Design wrote:

Seth: Sorry, that feature is only available with a paid subscription.

I would be happy to share information on how to use your product but I'd bet within a couple months this feature would have the little blue stars and the feature would be behind a paywall and unavailable to the folks that help develop your program.

Give me a 2 year subscription and we can talk.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Suit yourself, I was just curious for the sake of conversation on if you had worked out a manner in which you can drive Fusion CAM to actually grind cams.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums