Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn mill lathe 2d pocket on axial live tool...

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Infernalmecanix
179 Views, 5 Replies

Turn mill lathe 2d pocket on axial live tool...

Hi Guys and Girls! (there must be some 😁)

I am playing with milling a small (2mm width) open pocket  via an axial live tool on my lathe. I can make it work exactly as required with a 1.5mm tool but I would also like to know how to make it work with a 2mm diameter tool and have it roll slowly in and slowly out full depth of cut (2mm). I have done this manually and it works fine. Simply experimenting with tool path times and trying to keep things as quick a possible. How would I do this? Fusion file attached. Thank you!

mainbodyslot v3.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

2D Contour does not make it easy to fit a 2mm tool into a 2mm slot (well, any tool into any same-size feature). To get around this, one can either modify their feature to become just a tiny bit larger, or modify the tool to be a tiny bit smaller. And, we're not talking large values, even just a .0002" (.005mm) typically does the trick

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6

Hi Seth,

very interesting. Thank you. I can do that no problem at all. Is there another operation that would be more suited to do what I want? Just trying to learn more tricks! Many thanks.

Message 4 of 6

Since you're looking to roll into the slot and roll out, 2D Contour is the best choice. If you wanted to plunge in and then feed out, that would also be 2D Contour, but you'd set your Lead-out angle to 180 degrees, disable radius, and give it a length value equal to slot length + tool radius

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 6

Here's an example of the two ideas I mention

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 6

many thanks! I will have a play. cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report