Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble defining engrave tool path on shape made with arcs

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ
184 Views, 10 Replies

Trouble defining engrave tool path on shape made with arcs

Hi everyone, I'm new to F360 but a longtime Solid Works and Master Cam user. 

I'm trying to engrave my company logo on a piece of aluminum plate and having difficulty defining part of the cut path. The logo is a circle with some simple features and an Eagle in the middle. I traced a high res. JPEG I imported and initially scaled it small for an idea I had, and planned on scaling ip back up to 10" diameter for final production. 

When I define the lines for the engrave path, the eagle outline only selects small segments at a time instead of the whole chain, and doesn't recognize them as a valid path if I go through and manually select all segments. I've checked over the arcs I used to form the eagle and see no unconnected points or double lines. 

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I attached the file also.

Thank you in advance!

Shawn

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: SHAWN8SXQJ

Are you looking to trace the outline of the eagle, or are you looking to actually do a "V-Carve" style toolpath to it?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ
in reply to: seth.madore

I was planning on using a 3/8" 60 degree inclusive engraving tool, the tip is .015" wide. I wanted to use that and go over all the lines, I've been trying the trace tool path but it still doesn't seem right. 

It sounds like I want to v-carve the outlines. 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
seth.madore

Well, hold on now. If you want to just follow the outlines, Trace is indeed what you're looking for. I think the thing you need to clarify is what part of the eagle you want to cut. If you're looking to cut away all of the eagle, it's going to be a combination of Pocket, Contour and Engrave. However, if it's just simply tracing the outline, then...Trace is the way to go

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 11
seth.madore

With an 1/8" tool:

2023-01-30_15h42_52.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ

Makes sense, I was thinking I wanted the engrave tool path....

Can you see why I cannot select the eagle for an engrave tool path?  Also, I feel dumb for asking but I'm still learning F360, can you explain the difference between engrave and trace?

Thanks again. Much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ

I just saw the image you posted. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Did you have to select each segment individually or were you able to chain select? I guess thats what I'm stuck on, why I cannot select it as a chain. 

Message 8 of 11
seth.madore

First off: never feel dumb about asking for help.

A) That's what we're here for; to help others learn the software

B) We all started at that level at some point in our life

Engrave is meant more for text than anything else. So your text of "Triggered Precision" would be a perfect fit.

Trace is meant for single line fonts or any other type of toolpath where you want to control a tool across 2 or 3 axis. 

I'll knock out a quick video of how I did the Trace (no audio, the shop is noisy)

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ

Awesome, THANK YOU so much. 

Message 10 of 11
seth.madore

It will always be easier if you're working with a solid model in your Setup. The detection of Sketch entities is spotty at best. So, I made a cylinder that is the size of the largest diameter in the sketch.

Below, I demonstrate an Engrave and then a Trace toolpath. I did try it in the text, but it's too small to generate a proper toolpath on (with Engrave)

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 11
SHAWN8SXQJ

Awesome, thank you. That makes perfect sense now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums