Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace toolpath - closed loop overlap???

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
xgenmods
435 Views, 16 Replies

Trace toolpath - closed loop overlap???

Is there something I am missing here? I am getting tired of little marks form the entry and exit points on the trace toolpath. I am doing a closed loop 3D chamfer and due to no overlap I get this mark at the start stop point? To make matters worse I cant even select a start point so I can just run the path a 2nd time with a different start point. Will this ever be added/ fixed? Is there a quick workaround method? Very frustrating as it should be a basic feature just like all the other contour toolpaths have.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
lee_sanders
in reply to: xgenmods

hi @xgenmods 

Is it possible for you to share your project\session?

Thanks

Lee

Lee Sanders
Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 17
xgenmods
in reply to: lee_sanders

This is not my project file as I can not post that but here is a perfect example of what I am attempting to do. I am simply trying to do a 3D chamfer (Z is moving) using the trace toolpath and I end up with a mark where the toolpath starts and stops. This would be solved with an overlap. I would love the ability to select the start points as well.  Vertical lead-in does not solve this issue and even causes problems on my Haas.  What I have been doing to correct this is creating a copy of the line geometry and going back and just re-cutting that spot. This is super time consuming and massively over complicates the project. I am hoping there is a better way I just have not thought of?

Message 4 of 17
engineguy

@xgenmods 

Hmmm, I hope this is not a rude question but you are doing a Chamfer so why not use the 2D Chamfer toolpath ??

That will give you all the options you are asking for, Set a Start Point, Overlap and Arc Leadin, does the image below look close to what you are asking for ??

Cap-new.jpg

Message 5 of 17
engineguy
in reply to: engineguy

@xgenmods 

Oops, forgot the Simulation image

Cap-new-2.jpg

Message 6 of 17
xgenmods

I am not creating the shown chamfer. I am re-chamfering the 45 deg chamfer with a 60 degree chamfer to remove the burr as an edge break. I could be wrong but I don't think a "2D chamfer" toolpath can follow a 3D chain? This is why I am using the "Trace" toolpath. The issue with using "Trace"  is the toolpath is missing the basic features that make it able to make a clean toolpath. Its causing start/stop marks because there isn't any overlap.  I use this toolpath allot as we don't tumble these parts before they go out and cant have any sharp edges. 

Message 7 of 17
engineguy

@xgenmods 

Ah, OK, I see, you need to Chamfer the edge of the Chamfer !! Well, yes, Trace is what you need then.

Message 8 of 17
xgenmods

Yes. I am still hoping for a fix to my issue. 

Message 9 of 17
VicKosta

@xgenmods wrote:

Is there something I am missing here? I am getting tired of little marks form the entry and exit points on the trace toolpath. I am doing a closed loop 3D chamfer and due to no overlap I get this mark at the start stop point? To make matters worse I cant even select a start point so I can just run the path a 2nd time with a different start point. Will this ever be added/ fixed? Is there a quick workaround method? Very frustrating as it should be a basic feature just like all the other contour toolpaths have.

You are giving tool .005 clearance, marked lead in and out but left it at zero value, basically rapiding in position and off the part, so if there are any vibrations or deflections, I would attribute tool marks to lock of adequate engagement and/or workpiece rigidity.

2021-03-24 14_12_28-Autodesk Fusion 360.png2021-03-24 14_13_41-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 10 of 17
xgenmods
in reply to: VicKosta

It's not a rapid. It's a feed. A very slow one at that. It's also leaving behind material not gouging it.

Message 11 of 17
VicKosta

@xgenmods wrote:

It's not a rapid. It's a feed. A very slow one at that. It's also leaving behind material not gouging it.

Are you cutting octagon or using bar stock in that shape, using collet or bored jaws, if bar stock is in shape of hexagon, is it running true?

There is no other tool path strategy to better accommodate what you are doing, I think your issue is not with Fusion even if you use lead in value or feed slowly in position for cut.

Message 12 of 17
xgenmods

• These are cut on a 3 axis mill. Haas VF-2 from flat bar. It most definitely is fusion because for now I duplicate the same geometry and make it a small open segment. Apply the same toolpath and go over the effected spot be using a different start and stop point and it corrects the issues. I am manually making a full 2nd operation just to add the overlap this toolpath should have built in. Why doesn't it?

@VicKosta wrote:

@xgenmods wrote:

Are you cutting hexagon or using bar stock in that shape, using collet or bored jaws, if bar stock is in shape of hexagon, is it running true?

There is no other tool path strategy to better accommodate what you are doing, I think your issue is not with Fusion even if you use lead in value or feed slowly in position for cut.

Message 13 of 17
VicKosta

OK, the conspiracy theory may go deeper than trace tool path, which I don't regard as very accurate but neither is Haas from what I have learned in recent years.

Trace will follow drive curve in Z axis, its primary purpose seems to be to detail few leftover spots after other strategies although I've used it to do a lot more than that.

You could rerun tool that cuts octagon,..... or model .004 fillet on chamfer edge and do few passes with ball end mill,...

or just take it to gray buffing wheel and do some hand work.

Message 14 of 17
xgenmods

My last inspection ballbar report tells me the accuracy is beyond what  I should be able to feel with my fingers. The fact that I am able to correct it by running the same path tells me its not the machine. I need an overlap option. Sounds like I must be doing it the right way based on what I have been told. No other better way to do it. Wish they would fix it.

Message 15 of 17
VicKosta

I duplicated model and used it as stock then ran your trace toolpath to see if it will show any uneven or missed sections.

I can see uniform contact all across with .001 value set as chamfer width.

The ultra precision in deburring the edge but not touching any surfaces is a bit too much to expect without looking at other potential causes for things not adding up to expectations.

Since you only shared trace tool path, it's anyone's guess as to what is actually causing your issue, could be related to handful of things Fusion has nothing to do with.

What you see in simulation assumes model in Fusion is duplicated to high accuracy in machine.

You stated that running tool path from another start point fixes the issue, what that tells me is that your part is not  machined accurately enough for trace tool path to walk tool around edge without missing section of burr or leaving gouge on another section.

2021-03-24 20_57_54-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 16 of 17
webicycles

I used to use that overlap function a lot. It seems like there used to be more lead in/out options. Bummer, it lowered my liking of this software 

Message 17 of 17
weber_dominic

Why don't you change your starting point into the middle of a small contour and after you just run this small contour to even it out? would that work to get rid of the marks for you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report