Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace path on an irregular surface using a rotary axis.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
silviaaday
135 Views, 6 Replies

Trace path on an irregular surface using a rotary axis.

Hello experts, i have been pushing my limits with this, very new to Fusion. I have a model made out of a mesh and a solid, i can successfully cut it using "Rotary Parallel", the next step is to trace a design on the solid (Not perfectly cylindrical). I have been able to use the 2D tool paths to do this however the depth and shape are not consistent since the part is not rotating therefore the tool is not always perpendicular to the surface. I'm using a CNC router with a rotary axis (A), no tilting features. I've been trying to rotate the part as the trace is being cut. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Silvia 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: silviaaday

Trace does not support a "wrapped" (or rotary) toolpath. However, Project does, provided you enable 5-axis and set the Primary Mode "To Curve" and select an axis that runs thru the centerline.

This will likely require the MFG Extension.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
seth.madore

And if you could share your toolpath here, I'd be happy to try out a couple options for you.

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 7
silviaaday

Thanks for the quick response. I tried the Project path with your recommendation, it generates but i get a generic error in posting (! Error: Failed to post data. See log for details.). Would the fact that the machine has 4 axes be the issue? File attached. Thanks

Message 5 of 7
seth.madore

is your post processor configured for 4 axis motion?

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 7
seth.madore

Hmm. It's failing for you because of your selection for "To Curve". Ideally, we want to select a single axis that goes thru the part centerline, but when I do so, I get an empty toolpath 🤔

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 7
silviaaday
in reply to: seth.madore

The processor is set for 4 Axes, i’m able to post other rotary paths.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums