Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpaths ignoring safe retracts setting

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
synthcRLF48
281 Views, 5 Replies

Toolpaths ignoring safe retracts setting

I'm coming back to a project after a couple months' break and running into an issue I haven't encountered before - the tool isn't retracting at all at job start, causing it to drag across the stock.

Safe retracts is set to Clearance Height and Clearance Height is set to 10mm above the top of the stock; yet Fusion appears to ignore these settings entirely.

This is happening with toolpaths that did not have this issue previously, so I'm thinking that an update broke something.  I'm also getting several new warnings that I wasn't getting before:

Warning: -Attention- Property 'Safe Retracts' is set to 'Clearance Height'.

Ensure the clearance height will clear the part and or fixtures.

Raise the Z-axis to a safe height before starting the program.

Warning: Work offset has not been specified. Using G54

10mm is more than enough to clear the stock and clamps and using G54 should be fine (unless I'm missing something with that).  So I'm wondering what has changed and how I can fix this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: synthcRLF48

What is your machine and post processor? Do you have "Homing Switches" installed on the machine that permit the Z axis to raise to a set value?

What the message is telling you is essentially this: "The first XY move is likely going to be done with the Z axis set to where it's sitting. If this is bad, raise the Z axis manually to ensure that everything will clear".

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
synthcRLF48
in reply to: seth.madore

My machine is a FoxAlien Masuter 4040. Post processor is the default Grbl from the Fusion 360 library. The machine has limit switches on each end of each axis and has homing functionality; but it is not configured to do any sort of homing at job start.

I do understand what the warnings are saying, but I don't understand why.  The Safe Retracts height should be used when making non-linking rapid movements to and from the toolpath area, correct?  I don't want to have to manually raise the spindle after zeroing.

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

When set to "Clearance Height", there are no moves to send the machine home. For that to happen, you should have your Retract Setting to either "G28" or "G53". With that enabled, the first command that is sent to your machine is this: G28 G91 Z0  (or G53, respectively)

That will raise the spindle to it's limit switch. Is that not the case with your machine when you define those retracts?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 6
synthcRLF48
in reply to: seth.madore

When I set Safe Retracts to G28 it does fix the problem.  What I don't understand is why the Clearance Height never gets used when it's set to that.  Clearance height is 10mm; so when Safe Retracts is set to that instead of G28 or G53 shouldn't it retract to 10mm?

Message 6 of 6
seth.madore

No, it will not position to Z10mm before an X/Y move. Would it make sense that it does? Yes, that's my opinion.  I've been unsuccessful on selling that idea to the post team, however.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report