Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpaths are offset when selecting holes to avoid.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
j.n.c.hayton
207 Views, 7 Replies

Toolpaths are offset when selecting holes to avoid.

A parallel finishing pass for the outside of a mould has holes that need to be avoided. I have done this by selecting the holes as additional machining boundaries. This works, however, generates a strange offset in just one axis (See images below). I remember it working correctly in the past such that there was no offset, however I have not been able to reproduce it.

Note that actual parallel passes are not offset, so they mill the model correctly. It is simply the "avoided" holes that are incorrectly offset.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 16.47.33.pngScreenshot 2023-02-03 at 16.50.06.pngScreenshot 2023-02-03 at 17.00.57.png

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: j.n.c.hayton

Create a Patch surface over the holes and select that in the "Model" tab in the toolpath (make sure "Include Setup Model" is checked as well)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
j.n.c.hayton
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank for the fast response. I have tried this and it works well for my application. However I am still intrigued as to why my initial problem occurred. Do you have any idea why/where this offset could come from? Based on your answer I assume that machining boundaries should not be used to "avoid" things? Should it only be used to define the outer perimeter of the machine boundary?

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Could you share your actual file so I can see what was going on?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
j.n.c.hayton

I have attached the file. The contours I am referring to are labelled "Edge finishing" in the setup "Right (long) Top". There is meant to be just one edge finishing pass, but I had duplicated it to play around with settings to try and resolve the issue. 

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

I suspect it's due to the tool shape. For example, if I was to swap to a Ball Endmill, my result (over the holes) is this:

2023-02-03_13h38_38.png

And this:

2023-02-03_13h39_24.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
j.n.c.hayton

Oh right, thank you. Do you think it is a bug in fusion? Should it not also be possible with a flat end mill?

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

No, I don't think it's a bug

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report