Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpathing Geometry Selection, Open Contour.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rtoppin
212 Views, 7 Replies

Toolpathing Geometry Selection, Open Contour.

Ever since the changes made to the toolpath geometry in the last update I have been having some real issues trying to select open contours. 

Rather than selecting single lines along an edge it now seems to select a set of edges, often those that are tangential to the one that I want, excluding the one I'm trying to click. Normally I'm able to deselect what I don't want, keeping what I do, but sometimes there is a specific edge that it won't allow to be selected by itself or edges that will not deselect from the original chain that it decides on.  In truly infuriating cases, it will work fine on one end of a symmetrical part then fail on the other end.

As anyone can probably imagine, this gets really frustrating. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and perhaps a solution.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: rtoppin

Could you capture this frustration in a screen recording, or share the file that's causing you grief?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
jaredSADUH

I had a couple of frustrating moments with the new changes, for sure.  But I've since found them to be ok.  When selecting geometry (geometry tab) are you first selecting "chain" (second little block in the window - 2 cubes with outline around the top), then in that dialog box that pops up, choose "partial chain" which is the broken looking selection (like a backwards C).  When doing that, I've been able to select partial chains without issue.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 2.45.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 2.46.08 PM.png

 Hope that helps!

Message 4 of 8
rtoppin
in reply to: jaredSADUH

My problems occur when trying to use partial chains.  For some reason they are very selective about what it and is not able to be clicked.

Message 5 of 8
rtoppin
in reply to: seth.madore

In this screen grab you can see the tangential chain has selected 5 edges. What I actually need is the single edge that is 90 degrees to the blue highlighted edges, which is what I clicked to make this chain. Normally I would  work around this annoyance by deselecting edges I don't want, but for some reason, this time, Fusion is not allowing me to do that. 

As I said in the OP, I did this exact thing on the other end of this part which is symmetrical to this end and while annoyingly selecting 5 edges, it eventually let me get to just the one.

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

When needing to select just one edge, I prefer to just press the ALT key and make my single selection

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 8
rtoppin
in reply to: seth.madore

Oh thank the gods, it was so infuriating it had to be something simple.  Thank you, that worked.

Message 8 of 8
jaredSADUH

Yeah, I just double click the line that I want as my partial chain start point and then continue clicking the chain until I'm done.  Works easier by selecting the "partial chain" icon first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums