Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpath wont finish generating.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
andreshadow
282 Views, 17 Replies

Toolpath wont finish generating.

Hi.

I wonder if someone could run my part and see if all tools finish generating toolpath.

I have this 2D Adaptive4 which is stuck at 80% for hours. I have tested this on 3 diferent pc and always same.

Best thing is that i have very similar operation Adaptive3 below and worked fine. 

Also i make many of this type of grooves and for that one like Adaptive4 it wont work on all the ones i have done in past.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
engineguy
in reply to: andreshadow

@andreshadow 

Had a look at your part, upon opening I found that both 2D Adaptive3 and 2d Adaptive4 did not have toolpaths generated.

I turned off the "Wrap Toolpath" option and both Adaptive toolpaths generated correctly, 2D Adaptive3 generated in about 12 minutes, this has an optimal load of 1.2mm, 2D Adaptive4 generated in about 65 minutes, this has an optimal load of 0.7mm which is why it took a lot longer to generate.

This is on a 12 year old PC running a Generation 2 i7 CPU so it is pretty slow, if you have anything more modern then those times should be reduced. Attached is your file with the toolpaths generated, hope it is of some help to you.

Message 3 of 18
seth.madore
in reply to: engineguy

@engineguy I'm not seeing the "Wrap Toolpath" being turned on in the customer file. Wrap has moved to a new tab (not happy with that, but understand the thinking), so can you share a photo of what you saw in the OP's file?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 18
engineguy
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore 

Hi Seth, my Fusion has just updated to the latest 2.0.18224 version and the Wrap Toolpath that appeared before under the Geometry tab has now disappeared so can`t let you have an image of what I originally got on opening his file, I am now re- generating that 2D Adaptive4 operation to see if there is now any difference using the new version, I will post back when it is done calculating 🙂 🙂

Regards

Rob

Message 5 of 18
andreshadow

Hi.
I appreciate you spent time to run this fully 🙂
It does take long time usually but i had it going last night for 4hours and did not finish.
Unfortunately i updated Fusion before i did this program. Im not sure where you switch off "Wrap Toolpath"
never had to do this before. Like i said i made many of this bothe grooves and never had any problems.
What is strange Adaptive 3 is running fine but Adaptive 4 gets stuck.
Message 6 of 18
engineguy

@seth.madore 

Hi Seth, from what I can see the issue is with the latest version 2.0.18220, the 2D Adaptive4 toolpath generated fine in 65 miutes using the previous version, this time it took 80 minutes and didn`t generate correctly, it looked to have generated on screen but showed as "Out of Date" toolpath in the browser, very odd indeed.

The file is now also 5mb larger, has gone from 3.3mb to 8.3mb and is taking much longer to save out so I would definitely think there is a problem with this new 2.0.18220 version of Fusion.

Image below and new file attached.

@andreshadow 

As above, looks like it is an issue with the new 2.0.18220 version of Fusion.

2XPL400358BC5629.jpg

Message 7 of 18
engineguy

@andreshadow 

@seth.madore 

Follow up on this, I changed the Optimal load from the 0.7mm to 2.0mm just to see what it would do, it generated correctly in only 6 minutes with an operation size of 2.4mb, so not sure what is going on here.

@andreshadow 

Maybe if you can run a slightly bigger optimal load it would be a reasonable "workaround" for now, might have to "play around" with that setting to find something that works Ok for you.

@seth.madore 

Can you please bump this up to the developers, pretty sure something needs looking into 🙂 🙂

Regards

Rob

Message 8 of 18
seth.madore

After 3.5 hrs, it's still not calculating completely for me, it's hung up where it starts/stops.  I'll get this logged.

That said; for a feature such as this, I'd prefer to use a Pocket or 2D Contour toolpath with Ramp enabled. My $.02..

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 18
andreshadow

I gues thats why Adaptive 3 works for me, optimal load 1.2mm. Unfortunately for 6mm endmill i have to use load 0.7mm.
Hope they fix this quickly.
Message 10 of 18
andreshadow

I found this method to work for us in this small groove. I used onec 2D contour with ramp but, or im doing something wrong or thats how it works, when cutter ramps down in such a long groove it ramp all the way along groove. If it was like zigzag in just 10mm distance to depth then it would by ok. But we found also another problem. When we mill lets say in 2-3 depth steps cutter is jamming with swarf and breaks.

I have attached file with 2d contour you can see what i mean. Maybe you can point out what im doing wrong.

Message 11 of 18
seth.madore

@engineguy to clarify; you were able calculate the toolpath correctly with the old build of Fusion, but it's broken in this one, does that sum it up?

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 18
engineguy

@seth.madore 

With the original settings yes that is correct.

However changing the Optimal load from the 0.7mm to 2.0mm then it did calculate correctly with the newer version 🙂

Regards

Rob

Message 13 of 18
seth.madore

huge jump in stepover, I don't blame the OP for not liking that solution 🤣

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 18
engineguy

@seth.madore 

Hi Seth

Wasn`t meant as a solution, just a test to see what would happen which is why I suggested the OP just look at maybe "playing" with that setting as a possible "workaround" till the issue is fixed, I estimated that using a setting of the 2.0mm would generate much more quickly rather than wait another hour, I haven`t tried any other setting so have no idea what the "cut off" value might be where it does stop generating 🙂 🙂

Regards

Rob

Message 15 of 18
seth.madore

Ok, makes sense. I do have a PC with an older build, I'll try to see if I can get a toolpath with the original settings. If/when that wraps up, I'll make a ticket for us to investigate..

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 18
seth.madore

Yep, calculated in 55 minutes. Not ideal by a long shot, but it does generate with the original settings. Off to Jira to make a ticket 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 18
seth.madore

I've opened CAM-51225 to investigate the issue, sorry for the trouble..

Seth Madore
Message 18 of 18
engineguy

@seth.madore 

Thanks Seth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report