Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpath simulation center of rotation/orbit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
AaronRonda1
306 Views, 8 Replies

Toolpath simulation center of rotation/orbit

Can't seem to find a solution to this specific issue. How do you make the part center always the center of rotation/orbit for toolpath simulation? I don't care about the tip of the tool, and don't want to rotate/orbit about that when looking at the model. Older versions changed the center of orbit to the part when you hit the home button, now it doesn't and I can't find the setting to change this.   

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: AaronRonda1

I don't think there's a way to change this, and I'm also unsure of when or why this had changed..

Scratch that. I just popped into our Preferences, and it seems behavior of Orbit in Simulation can be changed by this setting:

Snag_17312d0d.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
brekmiller
in reply to: seth.madore

Sadly that preference setting doesn't change the pivot point for the orbit.

Seth, CAM-13034 from back in 2019 July explains why we changed the view rotation pivot point for simulation.  Basically, rotating the view when the model is hidden causes bad things to happen.  In simulation it is common to hide the model to make comparison mode look good.

Though we have since added the ability to reduce the opacity of the model without actually hiding it.  This also makes comparison mode look good.  Perhaps we could consider changing simulation again.  Though now with machine simulation, if we simply revert CAM-13034 then I think the view rotation pivot point would become the center of the machine, not the center of the model.  That is not ideal.

Brek Miller

Software Engineer
Message 4 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: brekmiller

@brekmiller wrote:

Sadly that preference setting doesn't change the pivot point for the orbit.
Though now with machine simulation, if we simply revert CAM-13034 then I think the view rotation pivot point would become the center of the machine, not the center of the model.  That is not ideal.

No, no it is not...

Perhaps we could benefit from a couple modes of Orbit; one when a machine sim is active, and another for the rest of us cavemen who don't use machine sim (machines not available or mill/turn where it's not supported)

-edit to add-

Hmm, you're right, it didn't change it. I must have been more delicate with my SpaceMouse to give me a placebo effect...

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
AaronRonda1
in reply to: seth.madore

Even if I was simulating the machine, vises, tombstone, etc, I would still want to be able to rotate about the center of the part I'm working on, after the simulation has run it's course. It makes analysis of the part much easier. I'm coming from a Solidworks background, so that is where I set the bar for ease of use. For the most part Fusion gives me a similar experience, until random changes like this happen. Having that feature back would be quite nice.

Message 6 of 9
AaronRonda1

Seriously....this feature needs to be brought back. It's so annoying not having it.

Message 7 of 9
AaronRonda1

Any updates on this?

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore

@AaronRonda1 wrote:

Any updates on this?

No, there is not

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9
AaronRonda1

Is it really that big of a deal to put a feature (that used to exist) back into the program? It is a huge pain in the butt to analyze small areas of very large parts when you can only rotate around the tool. It's still not very clear as to why this was eliminated in the first place. Most parts don't need to be simulated with the entire machine, vises, etc, especially if you're only running 2.5 axis parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report