Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpath not liking 'preserve order'

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rhetteshleman
180 Views, 3 Replies

Toolpath not liking 'preserve order'

I don't recall ever having this issue in Fusion but I can't tell it to cut one object completely, then move to the next. In this example, I used the Arrange feature but I should still be able to tell it what to cut. Preserve order, order by islands etc.. doesn't seem to have an effect. 

I want it to cut one part fully, then move to the next. I understand fusion thinks it's reducing rapids but it looks drunk. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: rhetteshleman

The issue is that your parts are within a certain distance (less than 1.5 x diameter of tool) together. At that point, Fusion just ignores the "Order by Island" and proceeds in the manner it thinks is safest.

Currently, the only way to get around that is to have multiple toolpaths (sucks, I know).

We do have work ongoing to allow for that "Safety" to be ignored and it will be forced to be ordered by islands. No date on when that will be available though, sorry.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4

that makes sense and explains why I've never ran into this before. Thank you for the prompt response. 

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: rhetteshleman

So, apparently.....

The dev team actually DID include the improvement needed. It's called "Stock On Islands". The default value appears to be "Tool Diameter", but reducing that value to a much smaller value will force the tool to order as desired.

2023-09-22_05h56_37.png

Setting that field to a value of .1mm gets us this:

2023-09-22_05h57_36.png

So, how to determine the value? Take the spacing of the parts, subtract the tool diameter. The Stock On Islands value needs to be smaller than that to force "order by islands" to work.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums