Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toolpath for cutting a box segment for 45 deg corners and flat top and bottom

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
crchisholm
644 Views, 19 Replies

toolpath for cutting a box segment for 45 deg corners and flat top and bottom

I need to create several box sides of various sizes with straight profile cuts on the top and bottom of the side and a 45 deg full bevel on the short sides.  I've included a picture of the part and the F3D file with this post.  I now how to setup the profile cut and groove cut toolpaths no problem but the end pieces 45 deg bevel is eluding me.  I think there is a simple way to do this but so far I'm not getting it.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please ask me questions for clarification if needed. 

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
seth.madore
in reply to: crchisholm

If you want to use a Chamfer style tool to accomplish this, you're going to have to define it as a Taper Mill. After doing so, you'll be able to use the 2D Contour toolpath, turn on "Multiple Depths" and define a Wall Taper Angle. Result:

2023-06-30_04h50_49.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 20
crchisholm
in reply to: seth.madore

Well, I have tried to duplicate what you did several times over the last 24 and have had no success.  I can't seem to get that tool path to do what I want which is to give me a full 45° bevel on the end.  Please look at the tool path I'm trying to use and tell me where I am going wrong. It appears that you are selecting the bottom edge of the end, but I can't make that work without it selecting the whole bottom.

I'm attaching the file.  Please look at it and tell me where I am screwing up.

I am very sorry I am having so much trouble getting this.

Message 4 of 20
seth.madore

Press the ALT key and select your edge

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 20
crchisholm

That's what I was missing.....thank you very much.

Message 6 of 20
crchisholm

I am still not getting what you got for a tool path and I tried to pen the file you sent, but I get the attached message.  I have closed and opened Fusion several times but it is not updateing the version the error tells me  I should have.  I was hoping to bull both versions (yours and mine) side by side to check the tool path line by line to try and figure out why you are getting something that I am not getting.  How do I force an update so that I can open the file you sent?

Message 7 of 20
crchisholm

sorry...forgot the attachment.

Message 8 of 20
seth.madore

Oh darn, looks like I saved the file in the Insider edition of Fusion. It's essentially a "future" version of the file. I'll redo the file in current Production

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 20
seth.madore

Actually, 2.0.16490 is current Production. Please update your Fusion:

2023-07-03_07h20_26.png

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 20
crchisholm

Well, for what ever reason, I am stuck with version 2.0.16009, and the option to check for updates does not appear in the menu you showed me.  (I had to take a photo of the screen because my screen shot software kept closing the window before taking the screen shot.)  

Are you sure the new version has been made available?  Auto updates has always worked before now.

Message 11 of 20
seth.madore

Mmmhm.

What version of Windows are you on?
You may have to run the Repair tool

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 20
crchisholm

I've attached the version information.  Does the fact that I'm on HOME version play into this?

Message 13 of 20
crchisholm

Just so you know, I think this machine has auto updated for a while now.
Message 14 of 20
seth.madore

@crchisholm wrote:

Does the fact that I'm on HOME version play into this?

No.

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 20
seth.madore

Looks like we're both at the same Windows version. I would run that Fusion Utility that I mentioned earlier. It's going to give you an option at reinstalling, take that one.

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 20
crchisholm

Well Dude, you got me there!!!

Turns out that when I tried to run the utility you lead me to, it told me that there was not enough disk space.  I investigated and found that I had inadvertently allowed Drop box on my C: drive which is a small drive stricktly used as a boot drive.  I removed Dropbox and voi-la, I was able to run the utility. After it finished, the new version of Fusion was installed and the update option now appears in the support menu. 

Got there, just had to step over a few steaming piles.

Thanks

Message 17 of 20
crchisholm

I will still need to figure out why I can't see "Multiple Depths" even though it appears that I have the tool path setup they way you do.
Message 18 of 20
seth.madore

I suspect it's because you still have the tool defined as a Chamfer tool and not a Taper Mill

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 20
seth.madore

Seth Madore
Message 20 of 20
crchisholm

You were right.  I was trying this in Vetric Desktop and Fusion.  In both cases, I made a copy of the tool I was going to use and then in Vectric, I changed to a Taper Mill, but then forgot to do the same in Fusion.

Made the change and now it works like  a charm!!!

Thank You.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report