Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpath error for chamfer bit for engrave: BodyLength >= shoulderLength

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
infoCHJG4
876 Views, 18 Replies

Toolpath error for chamfer bit for engrave: BodyLength >= shoulderLength

I am trying to create an engraving toolpath with a bit I just got that is a 150' v groove router bit. It works fine to generate toolpaths and carve out a project on Carbide Create, so I know it works and can be done. But in Fusion 3D, I create the chamfer tool (You can't use any other tool for an engraving function) but attempts to create a toolpath with it result in an error that makes no sense to me. The error is that "BodyLength >= shoulderLength" and no path is created. Of course, the body length is greater than the shoulder length. How could it be otherwise? What does this error message really mean or what is it describing? I have tried changing the shoulder lengths and body lengths as well as others and I get the same error. Really stuck here.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
seth.madore
in reply to: infoCHJG4

Image attachment is broken at this time. You will need to use this button here:

2020-01-28_10h06_25.png

Also, sharing your Fusion file will GREATLY increase your chance of a positive solution. Right click on the file in the Data Panel and select "Share Public Link"

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 19
Milhooz
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I have exactly the same problem with a 150° V bit. 120° works fine but with the 150° I get the same error: Error: BodyLength >= shoulderLength

I have triple checked all dimensions and they appear to be OK.

Sorry the screenshots are in French and the French translation is quite bad in Fusion 360, let me know if you need this in English, I can probably switch to English.Capture d’écran 2020-06-30 à 02.20.17.pngCapture d’écran 2020-06-30 à 02.20.38.png

Message 4 of 19
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Milhooz

Can you post the link for the tool

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 19
Milhooz
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hi Daniel,

What do you mean by the link of the tool? It is tool that I have created in my Library.

I have attached my Tools library, it is the tool #31. I'm not sure how to share a tool otherwise.

It is a tool similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-V-Groove-Tungsten-Woodworking-Engraving/dp/B07MV3J6HL/ref=sr_1_2?dchil...

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 19
daniel_lyall

Yes, the link to the tool on the manufactures website.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 7 of 19
Milhooz

I don't think there is any manufacturer website, it is a cheap Chinese end mill, I have taken all measurement manually with my pair of calipers. It comes in a set of 5 end mills with different angles, up to 120° Fusion is able to generate an Engrave toolpath but not for 150° (75° angle each side). You can see the measurements on my screenshot above but if you need I can retake them or put them in English.

I have added the link to Amazon on my previous post.

Message 8 of 19
daniel_lyall

It helps to work problems out if you have all parts that make up the problem like the link to the tool the model so on.

I can not get the error to clear using the engrave toolpath with the tool in question, it works fine with a contour toolpath, an Autodesk staff member will need to have a look.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 19
Milhooz

Yes I understand. This is a similar tool, https://www.dhgate.com/product/1pc-6mm-v-bit-cnc-solid-carbide-end-mill/433993625.html#ENhp-en

If you scroll down to "More description", it is the one labelled as MM: 6 x 32 x 150°

You can access a Fusion 360 file with a sample engraving operation here: https://a360.co/2Afw8fj

With two tools, one 150 degrees that does not work and one 120 degrees from the same set of tools that work.

For both I have taken measurements with my calipers.

Thank you for your help.

Message 10 of 19
engineguy

@Milhooz 

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, I have tried to make the tool to your dimensions and created a 75 Deg engrave path in the attached file, there are also a couple of "Trace" paths just for your information, anyway, have a look at the images below and the attached file 🙂 🙂

150Deg Engrave v0.jpg150Deg Tool.jpg

If this is close maybe you can "tweak" from here 🙂 🙂

Regards

Rob

Message 11 of 19
Milhooz
in reply to: engineguy

Ok thanks Rob, I have downloaded your file and will come back about it tomorrow as it is 3:40 am now and I spent too much time on this today, hopefully tomorrow will be better 😄

To be more precise, I'm not modelling the engraving, I'm using a flat sketch to do a V carve.

Still seems like a bug in Fusion (or an incorrect error message) but maybe by using your dimensions it would work, the diameter of the tool is not so important as I won't go more than 2mm deep. As long at the angle is right it should be enough to machine it correctly.

Message 12 of 19
patrick.emin

Hi @Milhooz you can report incorrect French translations here, thanks.

Patrick Emin animateur de la communauté francophone

Vous avez trouvé un message utile? Alors donnez un "J'aime" à ce message!
Votre question a eu une réponse satisfaisante? Voulez vous avoir l'amabilité de cliquer sur le bouton
 APPROUVER LA SOLUTION  en bas de la réponse qui apporte une solution?
Signez notre Livre d'Or
Message 13 of 19
Milhooz
in reply to: engineguy

Ok, thanks to Rob I have played with the values and I have managed to have the correct diameter, flute length and shoulder length by setting the below holder and overall length to 70mm.

It is unclear why the shape with a 150 degree angle does not work with a smaller shaft whereas it work fine with a 120 degrees angle. I assume this is a bug.

Capture d’écran 2020-06-30 à 14.35.08.png

Tags (2)
Message 14 of 19
engineguy

@Milhooz 

Happy it is working for you now 🙂

I am a little puzzled, here I can have any angle with any size shaft, your 32mm diameter with a 1mm diameter shaft even works OK so I do not know why it does not work over 120 degrees with a small shaft ??

Regards

Rob

Message 15 of 19
timhoefnagels

I'm getting the same error. I tried to do the same steps as you @engineguy and it works in your file. 

The problem is: I want a bigger chamfer so I have to use a 3d toolpath. Then the error won't go away. I tried lot's of different inputs but it won't work. 

It is quite frustrating. 

Message 16 of 19
seth.madore
in reply to: timhoefnagels

@timhoefnagels please share your Fusion file here so we can diagnose what's going wrong.

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 19
timhoefnagels

Hi Seth,

As you can see, I am also working on a 150-degree mill.
I am currently using a morph toolpath. I have already tried all kinds of things. The idea is to rough mill the part first with an addaptive clearing and then go over the whole edge again with a 150-degree router so that it is flat.

Message 18 of 19
seth.madore

@timhoefnagels okay, this isn't an Engrave option, so you've posted your issue in an incorrect thread. This muddies the waters for anyone else seeking answers to their issues.

That said, I'll address your issue in this thread, just keep that in mind when you run into another issue. If the thread isn't explicitly identical to your issue, it's always best to start a new one

Your best bet is going to be to define a Tapered Mill and use the Ramp toolpath:

Snag_175819e5.png

I was also able to get something rather decent with a 2D Contour. Turn on Multiple Depths and define a Wall Taper Angle. Result:

Snag_1758ee8b.png

I've attached the file for your review

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 19
timhoefnagels

Hi Seth,

Thank you! This also immediately gives me a new insight into how to use tapered allong wall. Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I didn't immediately realise it was only about engraving. I searched on the terms BodyLength >= shoulderLength and came out here.
The problem is solved for me. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report