Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tool selection from the library - automatic cycle selection

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Tomas_V_cz
253 Views, 8 Replies

tool selection from the library - automatic cycle selection

Hello, is there an option to set it to automatically select a thread cycle when selecting a tap from the Fusion library? Thanks

Edit:

so the solution is probably to modify the expression in the cycle selection, which is like this in the system settings, and I had that expression changed.

tool_isMill ? ('drilling') : ((tool_type == 'tap right hand' || tool_type == 'tap left hand') ? 'tapping' : ((tool_type == 'reamer')?('reaming'):'drilling '))

It selects taps well, but other tools not according to my requirements, so it needs to be adjusted...Hopefully it will work somehow. Does anyone have any experience with this, how to modify it?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Tomas_V_cz

Sorry, no.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
Tomas_V_cz
in reply to: seth.madore

sorry, I didn't know from your answer if the cycle selection can be changed, or if you have experience with it.

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

The software is not designed to automatically switch cycles depending on what sort of tool is selected. 

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
Tomas_V_cz

however, I made a small tweak and the milling tool selection will automatically select 'bore-milling'. And as a default cycle for drilling 'deep-drilling', which is a change against the system setting

Code:

tool_isMill ? ('bore-milling') : ((tool_type == 'tap right hand' || tool_type == 'tap left hand') ? 'tapping' : ((tool_type == 'reamer')?('reaming'):'deep-drilling'))

Edit: 

I think it's possible to change everything as needed - example:

tool_isMill ? ('bore-milling') : ((tool_type == 'tap right hand' || tool_type == 'tap left hand') ? 'tapping' : ((tool_type == 'reamer')?('reaming') : (tool_type == 'boring bar')?('boring'):'deep-drilling'))

Message 6 of 9
seth.madore

How are you making this change?

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

It's the (default) expression for the Cycle type Menu in drilling

alaasW8M6T_0-1708201279757.png

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

ahh

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9
Tomas_V_cz

((tool_type == 'tap right hand' || tool_type == 'tap left hand') ? 'tapping' : ((tool_type == 'reamer')?('reaming') : (tool_type == 'boring bar')?('boring'): (tool_type == 'flat end mill')?('circular-pocket-milling'): (tool_type == 'bull nose end mill')?('bore-milling'):'deep-drilling'))

This code automatically selects the next cycles - flat end mill selects the circular-pocket-milling cycle for finish milling the holes, and the bull nose end mill (I have radiused blade tools defined here) selects the bore-milling cycle. Of course, reamers and a boring bar. The default drilling cycle is deep-drilling .

It is difficult for me to understand that Autodesk is not able to automate the selection of cycles according to the tool in the basic settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report