Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool plunges into model becuase Fusion keeps changing the bottom height

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
FrodoLoggins
280 Views, 11 Replies

Tool plunges into model becuase Fusion keeps changing the bottom height

My bottom height is here:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 2.50.41 PM.png

Well above the model.

Not below the model here:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 2.50.29 PM.png

But at some point Fusion keeps deciding my bottom height is below the model. Every time this happens I simply regenerate the operation and it moves my bottom height back where I told it. Don't make any changes, just regenerate it.

As shown here:

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

Well, the file you shared has the hole depth where you expect it to be. Do you have any steps I can take to reproduce this issue?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: seth.madore

1: I'm no longer getting emails when I get responses to my posts. Noticed on at least 2 of my posts that you responded to.

2: I have another example of this happening:

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.11.08 AM.png

Tried posting the setup this operation is contained in prior to noticing the bottom height was different than what I specified and I got this:

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.06.23 AM.png

This time I attached a file from a previous save state where the bottom height is different and a file after opening/closing the operation giving me the correct bottom height.

Steps I did:

1: Selected bottom height/toolpath settings and generated toolpath.

2: Toolpath generated as expected.

3: At some point later I noticed the tool goes lower than what I specified and what I witness it going after it's initial generation.

4: Opened the operation's dialogue box by either double clickign the operation item in the browser or by right clicking > edit. Without changing anything

5: Bottom height back to where I set it to.

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 4 of 12
a.laasW8M6T

@seth.madore 

I just had this happen on one of our other users
It was a file I was working on this morning in Insider, which I saved.

Then they got given it to finish off on another mill and it was opened in production with a warning saying something about potential incompatibilities or something, I didn't see the warning.

the setup wouldn't post due to the "Clearance plane is undefined"

A simple regeneration of the toolpaths fixed it and it posted fine.

I know previously that opening files from a newer build wasn't possible so this must be a new change.

May point in the right direction for trouble shooting

Message 5 of 12
seth.madore

@FrodoLoggins was it possible that you were combining the use of Insider and Production?

@a.laasW8M6T regarding the warning; I have seen that as well. It's my understanding that there are "schema changing" updates, which prohibit the opening of Insider into Production, and then there are "non-schema" which do not, but do prompt a warning to the user.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 12
FrodoLoggins

I don't wake up until around lunch but I have almost definitely opened this file with the insider version. If I did I don't think I ever saved the file with the insider version. Just tried to see if I could get a toolpath to generate with undercuts and then after I couldn't I closed without saving but can't confirm. I also don't remember getting a warning when reopening the file in the standard version of Fusion saying "Hey you saved this with the insider version prior, please double check everything" but again I could be wrong.

At some point I'll cut my internet, open the insider version of Fusion, and check the version history of that file. Maybe that will help jog my memory. Unless the insider version shares cache files pertaining to file version history or something.

Message 7 of 12
DarthBane55

How do I know if I am currently in the insider or mere mortal version at any given time?  Is there a flag somewhere telling you?  Asking because I dont recall signing up for insider, but I still have the feature flag preview thing, so I might have signed up...  and I don't want to screw things up for the other users after seeing this post, thanks!

Message 8 of 12
seth.madore

This is where it gets to be a bit of a cluster...

If you've signed up for Insider but not actually installed the Insider build, you would have access to Preview features in your Preferences. If you don't have access, you don't have Insider.

Now, in regards to the actual Insider build; you would have to check the version in the "About". If it's a 2.0.17xxx then that's standard Production. If it's a 2.0.18xxx than it's the Insider build (this is as of Jan' 2024)

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 12
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: DarthBane55

At least for me the standard version of Fusion has "360" in it's icon:

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11.35.17 AM.png

The insider version has "FUS" in it's icon:

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11.37.24 AM.png

Definitely a good idea to distinguish them better. Makes it a lot easier to figure out if someone broke NDA. 

Maybe add a little hard hat on top.

Message 10 of 12
FrodoLoggins

You know what, I just opened the insider version without cutting my internet. So I'm not gonna be able to jog my memory by looking at the file version history. I am now 100% sure I opened this file in the insider version but can't say if I ever actually saved or not.

Message 11 of 12
DarthBane55

Thanks guys!  that means I've signed up (can't recall it haha), but not installed.

My icon is like this, so I can't rely on it I guess lol

1.png

That's cause I use a custom start menu in Windows 10.

EDIT: oops what a loser I am, the icon shows 360, so I don't have the insider installed.

Message 12 of 12
seth.madore

yeah....the icon is the same for both on the taskbar, but the Windows icon is different:

2024-01-26_12h48_58.png

I probably should have more install issues than I do....

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report