Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool path not following modeling contour.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
engineeringK
180 Views, 7 Replies

Tool path not following modeling contour.

New here! Attempting to use fusion to operate a HAAS TL2, with a 4 post. I have used fusion to model and mill/3d print. Turning is kind of new to me with this software.

I am working on crating a very simple turning project. A pin turned from 43mm (front) and 40mm (back). The toolpath will not follow the taper to the 40mm OD. If I select contours it creates this large blue circle at the end and creates an error message that states

"Turning profile is split into two or more closed parts. You can avoid this error by modifying your model to ensure all parts of the profile are connected."

I attempted to allow the software to follow the solid model but will not generate a cutting path any deeper than my greatest OD (43mm). 

I also created a simplified version of the pin with no radii. Same error. 

engineeringK_0-1674852748886.png

Above is the mentioned blue circle.

engineeringK_1-1674852832808.png

Above shows the tool path only cutting as deep as the outer most OD. 

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: engineeringK

Could you share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
engineeringK
in reply to: seth.madore

Here you go.

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Turn on "Allow Radial and Axial Grooving". Result:

2023-01-27_16h05_46.png

2023-01-27_16h06_08.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
engineeringK

I haven't used that setting due to a mandrel that is screwed into the back of the stock. It must remain untouched. It will be the same OD as the final OD except for the stock I left on the part. Is it possible to achieve the proper tool path without the tool further engaging at the end of the pass?
Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

Like this, or something different?

2023-01-27_16h13_22.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
engineeringK

Yes but 5mm past the end of the stock. What do I change?

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

Now, there will continue to be some taper to that move, unless you make a separate model for the sake of manufacturing. Otherwise, do this:

2023-01-27_16h18_50.png

And then turn on "Allow Radial and Axial Grooving".

If you want it to be a cylindrical surface for that -5mm, you're going to have to duplicate your model and then extrude a portion at the end that is at the diameter and length you desire. Make sure you "Join" the bodies, otherwise you will receive errors

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums