Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOOL PATH ISSUES

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
brandon_thom
423 Views, 6 Replies

TOOL PATH ISSUES

Got the jaws modeled up and writing the tool paths for a milling these jaws. Sure its something dumb IM missing, however im reaching out to see what corrective action. I had to select open for the contour selection, Iset the spacing between the jaws to 1" and only milling the back jaw. Its a recessed step to contain the stock and is .200" deep and 3.520 on the x axis. Planning to use a 1/2 end mill and step it down to full depth of the jaw.

Heres the file i have, I dont want to skim the face of the jaws or contour the whole jaw. Thats what the tool path kept wanting to do, just enter at the slot, and mill it to the specified dimensions.

When I select it individually as a open chain, its following the slot on the back side... any help thanks and appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: brandon_thom

I think you would be a lot better off to turn your model and cut it from the side with the groove.  Not only do you get sharp corners, it is a lot less aggressive cutting.  You can change to a shorter end mill as well.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
brandon_thom
in reply to: jhackney1972

trying to cut them while attached to the jaws. That countour path wont work for what i need the Jaws are already made just need the cut out put in them. How did you get the step to mill? Any luck doing it in the sequence i had already?
Message 4 of 7
brandon_thom

Still having some issues with this, I can get all my tool paths to work if I orientate it more less machine the pocket with the block sitting in vises. However, none of the tool paths will let me do sharp corner contour paths when I orientate it to be mounted on the vise. Why is this? Basically clicked pocket, selected it and made it leave .02 of radial material and selected the pocket and offset the bottom .25 to leave a ledge for the part to sit on.

Then when I go back in to program the finish pass and get the corners sharp, Click open chain and then select the bottom lines individually, made sure the red arrow is on the inside of the tool path and not the outside. Then, once I get to finish, shows zero empty tool paths. I will export that one here, 

Message 5 of 7
seth.madore

The first and last lines are too short for it to do an appropriate lead-in/out. You're going to need to give it some extension. Double click on "open chain" in your geometry selections:

2023-08-07_06h10_51.png

Result:

2023-08-07_06h11_42.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7
brandon_thom
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore 
I will check this out when at work, was this on the latest export file I just sent yesterday ? Appreciate your guys help as always. 

Message 7 of 7
seth.madore

@brandon_thom wrote:

@seth.madore 
was this on the latest export file I just sent yesterday ?

Yep! 

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report