Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Diameter larger than pocket width - can I force it to create a tool path and cut it anyway?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
toolcontrolreliability
372 Views, 13 Replies

Tool Diameter larger than pocket width - can I force it to create a tool path and cut it anyway?

Hi, 

Pretty new to Fusion 360, have used a lot of CAD before but not Manufactuing side (here I am a massive newbie).

I have a project where i want to cut the whole thing using a 1/8" diameter cutter, however, some pockets are smaller width than 1/8" and a tool path will not be created.

Is there any way to ignore that and force the program to create a tool path through that section anyway, Yes I understand that it is going to cut wider than the drawing. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Well, seeing as your model is taking ages to open, here are some general thoughts:
1) Yes, with 2D toolpaths, you can force a tool to violate the model. The trick is to use 2D Contour, and not 2D Pocket. Select a single edge to drive the toolpath (not both sides of the pocket)

2) If the difference in feature/tool size is very small, you can also "cheat" and define the tool slightly smaller.

Will offer up more thoughts when your file gets around to opening 🤔

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 14

Thanks Seth, I will give it a go, I have 30 imported DXF contours, maybe that could be the reason, its has been very slow for me too. 

Cheers Matt

Message 4 of 14

Ok, your file finally opened. For contours that you just can't get to work, Trace is another valuable tool, as long as you set your compensation direction properly:

2023-07-10_07h26_27.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 14

What was used to create the DXF's?

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 14

The file was not slow until I started to extrude. Any ideas on why its so slow? I'm thinking I might even start again to see if it's just this particular file?
The program is contour trace, https://contourtrace.com/

Id be greatful for knowledge on how to achieve the raster image outline to vector for import into fusion if there is other options?

I have not been able to try anything yet as Fusion just keeps stalling on this file
Message 7 of 14

It's all the splines that the DXF contains. I know there are dxf tools out there that help to smooth those out into arcs, but there name escapes me (I don't have need of them in general). Maybe @HughesTooling might be able to make a recommendation?

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 14

@toolcontrolreliability Can you share the DXF and what program produced it? 

Edit I see above you mention the trace program. Can you share the image you used as well?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14

Hi Mark,

DXF for a single tool attached and the original image.IMG_7358.JPG 

Message 10 of 14

Message 11 of 14

@HughesTooling @seth.madore I think I may have a solution for the file size. Attached is a photo of what I'm trying to achieve. Custom Toolbox shadow foams. Mine will have a polypropylene sheet on top of the foam with a 2mm offset around the tool. 

The trace software has an offset function in which you can create a more rounded contour, if I leave the DXF offset contour sharp and then add smoothing in fusion it should reduce the number of vectors present in the file and a smoother edge. 

I'm still very much learning I only purchased my first CNC a couple of months ago 

Message 12 of 14

Scans from pictures are always a problem. The one you shared is not too bad but looking at your Fusio design the biggest problem is the offset curves for the shallow pocket.

Just this one corner is 121 faces! You might be better off just importing the inner profile and create a shallow pocket and offset then create the deeper pocket. So use one outline for both pockets.

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

One other thought is don't model the shallow pocket at all and just machine it using a 2d contour with a negative stock to leave. This simplifies you model quite a lot.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 14

For the pocketc that are too small try using 2d contour with a -1mm radial stock to leave.

Clipboard02.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report