Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool definition and collision detection

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mark.lamneck
293 Views, 8 Replies

Tool definition and collision detection

Is there a documentation about how to define tools properly? What is the shoulder length for?

I've defined a simple flat end mill with 6mm diameter, a flute length of 14mm and a shoulder length of 30mm (Because it was written like this on the package of the tool). If I do a simple contour job deeper than 14mm in one step no collision is detected. If I set the shoulder length equal to the flute length the collision detection works for this case. However if I use multiple dephts with 14mm, I get no collision for the steps deeper than 14mm (even if I define the shaft slightly bigger than the flute). It should detect collisions even if the diameter of the shaft and flute is the same right? At least SolidCam does. Files for the 3 cases attached.

Because I also had the following issue, I'm wondering how to define tools properly.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-manufacture/undercut-with-a-slot-milling-tool/m-p/11868975...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: mark.lamneck

Have you read through this help article? https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-A0197982-0082-45AF-B848-8D62CAF57C49

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 9
mark.lamneck

Thanks for providing the link. Unfortunately there's nothing you cannot guess from the dialog itself. The only thing written about the shoulder length there is "The length above of the cutting edge of the tool." which is not clear for me. From what I've tested , it looks like the shoulder length has to be the length of the flute in order the make the collision detection work (at least for tools without a shaft extension. Shaft extension is a different story and even more confusing like described in the first linked I've posted).

But apart from that, the real question is:

Why does the collision detection does not work for my simple example?

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

We actually have improvements for this, but with the new format of Preference Previews, you're going to need to be a member of the Insider program (which is free). Once you've been accepted into the Insider program, the Preview option will be available in all builds of Fusion, not just the Insider one:

2023-10-09_06h01_08.png

result:

2023-10-09_06h03_57.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 9
mark.lamneck
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for pointing this out. I signed in to the fusion insider program and have the preview features available again in Fusion 360. However I'm missing the stock simulation improvement feature you mentioned.

Message 6 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

Unfortunately the feature flags with a lock beside them are a CAB(Like another insider level) feature only.

Not ready for public Insider preview, still in development.

Eventually this will pass through to Insider public preview.

Message 7 of 9
mark.lamneck
in reply to: seth.madore

Ok it looks like I cannot test this "new feature". So I have to ask: Do you see collisions for the other 2 jobs I've created or just for the first one?

What do I have to do in order to get access to this kind of insider features?

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore

I see collisions for the first two toolpath, nothing for the third until I increase the shaft diameter a little bit more

As for getting access to this, it's just going to be a matter of having some patience. It will reach the general user soon enough

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 9
mark.lamneck

So guidelines for tool definition at the moment:

For tools without shaft extension:

- shoulder length = flute length

- diameter = flute diameter + 0.1mm (if the shaft diameter is actually the same like the flute diameter... to make the collision detection work for multiple depths)

with shaft extension:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-manufacture/undercut-with-a-slot-milling-tool/m-p/11868975...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report