Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Turning in Negative Diameter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
matthewM5R6M
150 Views, 4 Replies

Thread Turning in Negative Diameter

Is there a way to get the cam to single point thread in negative diameter, like you can with other toolpaths?  

I have a paticular application where I need to thread a stud, that's inside a facegroove.   I'd like to do it on the negative diameter, but ended up having to flip my threading bar upside down, and thread from the back of the part to the chuck.  

The only thing this feature would need is to prevent use canned cycle being able to be ticked, if it's active.  I don't think most lathes would handle this well in a canned cycle, but I may be wrong?  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: matthewM5R6M

What post processor are you using? There are some posts that have accommodations for "gang-style" tooling and will force out code in the X- direction. This behavior is typically controlled by defining a different turret. For example, here is the description in the generic Fanuc turning post:

Generic post for FANUC Turning. Use the property 'type' to switch the FANUC mode A, B, and C. 
The default mode is A.
Use Turret 0 for Positional Turret, Turret 101 for QCTP on X- Post, Turret 102 for QCTP on X+ Post, Turret 103 for Gang Tooling on X- Post, Turret 104 for Gang Tooling on X+ Tool Post.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
matthewM5R6M
in reply to: seth.madore

I got the job done.  I'm using the standard Haas ST-30 post.  It's just an option I expected to see in the cam, rather than having to define a seperate turret number to use the tool.   How would you handle this in a twin turret machine if I wanted to use this in the upper turret, and not the lower? 

Turn in negative diameter is coming on well as a clickable feature, it just seems to have missed single point threading.   

I didn't check, but grooving might need it too, if I had to run a face grooving tool upside down for some reason.  

Another small thing, using folders seems to break the yellow stock display.  

matthewM5R6M_0-1689709064747.png

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: matthewM5R6M

For now, I would expect to handle anything more than Rough/Finish turn by changing the turret assignment. 

Yes, Negative Diameter is coming along, but it's limited to two toolpaths for the time being.

Yeah, Folders has some known (and logged) issues, this being one of them...

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
matthewM5R6M
in reply to: seth.madore

It's great to see turning getting some love.  I look forward to negative diameter being taken over more toolpaths in the future.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report