Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread milling miniature threads

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
vid.kok
455 Views, 6 Replies

Thread milling miniature threads

So I bought this (FGF01.0140.M016M025) thread mill only to find out that I am not able to program a toolpath for it in Fusion. The problem is that Fusion only allows for up-milling. I am trying to mill an internal M1.6 thread which has 1.22 mm major diameter. The diameter of the thread mill's tip is 1.4 mm which makes it impossible to use solely up-milling or solely down-milling strategy. The only way to thread mill such a small hole would be to cut a thread in both ways or to retract in a helix.

thread mill.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: vid.kok

From a manufacturing standpoint, what you are looking to do is not possible. To threadmill a hole of any size, the threadmill must be smaller than the minor diameter. Anything else is called Tapping and requires cutting or form taps.

I guess technically one could dream up a scenario where you start out of the hole, pick up cutter comp, spiral down into the hole and then instantly reverse direction and spiral out of the hole. This is not supported by Fusion, no.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
vid.kok
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you Seth for a quick reply!

I checked out Harvey's and Kyocera's M1.6 thread mills. Kyocera's thread mill has 1 mm tip diameter and Harvey's has 1.16 mm tip diameter - both smaller than 1.22 mm minor for M1.6 thread.

So it seems like the data on Sorotec webstore is inaccurate. The thread mill I bought is at best good for M1.8 thread with 1.421 mm minor, at least theoretically.

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: vid.kok

That would be my assumption as well, and I've bought many a tool that didn't deliver on expectations, so I know how you feel right about now.

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 7
vid.kok

I found out that the OEM of my thread mill is actually Datron. I bought a thread mill with item nr. 0068419L.

https://datronshop.de/gewindefraeser.html?fbclid=IwAR1oalxgKv1gAzJoM9tIFw3ryAhFmNyHda6m2288gQcl1no7V...

thread_mill.JPG

I think I figured out what is the deal here. When they listed the thread mill as suitable for M1.6 threads they had in mind finer M1.6x0.2 threads with 1.458mm max. female hole minor.

Message 6 of 7
mail4JHBM

Does Fusion 360 support this feature yet? 

"I guess technically one could dream up a scenario where you start out of the hole, pick up cutter comp, spiral down into the hole and then instantly reverse direction and spiral out of the hole. This is not supported by Fusion, no."

Message 7 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: mail4JHBM

No, this isn't supported by Fusion. Truthfully, I'm not aware of other major CAM packages that offer this method of processing.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report