Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread mill models don't match numerical information input in geometry tabs when making a new tool.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
southwestprecisionarms
75 Views, 2 Replies

Thread mill models don't match numerical information input in geometry tabs when making a new tool.

Not sure if that Title makes sense but I've noticed when I design a single point or multi point thread mill the model does not match what I input in the cutter geometry. Then during simulation the model doesn't cut right since the model of the tool isn't correct. I have made many tools trying different geometry's but nothing works. 

So lets say we have a .098 diameter thread mill single point, .050dia. shaft, .375loc, 60deg, thread pitch .5mm. 

You model it in the tool library and to the right when you blow it up and view the cutter and the grid that shows 1/64 for each square, does not match the dimensions input in the geometry. The shaft diameter does not change ever. Stays the same in relation to the diameter of the cutter. When you preview simulation the tool model does not represent correctly and gives you a false visual. Not sure why the shaft diameter does not change. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully my description is accurate.  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

There are known limitations for the shaft diameter not changing, simply due to how we defined the math so long ago. There are some open tickets to provide greater flexibility, but the status on those is unknown. If you desire perfect simulation and the like, you're going to have to define your threadmill as a form tool:

2024-01-29_07h44_51.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3

To add a little more flavor to Seth's answer above (which is correct), we found some problem code that incorrectly limits the minor diameter of the thread mill. We aren't sure why it was done this way, but it evaded capture for a long time and we intend to fix it soon. This should fix the issue that I think you're describing, also shown in the screenshot below (pink lines are desired, unintentional flats should be removed) 

marthadeans_0-1706533714024.png

If you are encountering other issues with thread mills that you find to be blockers, please let us know, and including what the issue is preventing you from doing is helpful in prioritizing a fix. Thanks!

Marti Deans
Product Manager, Fusion 360 Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums