Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Bore No G02/G03 Arcs

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BrandonTBFBF
192 Views, 4 Replies

Tapered Bore No G02/G03 Arcs

I've got an issue when machining tapered bores using the Bore strategy or when thread milling tapered threads.

If I don't have my post processor set up to linearize the movements it will output arcs as if the bore were straight.

I'm pretty certain the issue comes from the onCircular function as well as the CircularData function in my post.

Here is a snippet of how I handled the linearization:

else if (!properties.useRadius && !machineState.usePolarMode) {
    if (isHelical() && ((getCircularSweep() < toRad(30)) || (getHelicalPitch() > 10))) { // avoid G112 issue
      linearize(tolerance);
      return;
    }
    switch (getCircularPlane()) {
    case PLANE_XY:
	 if (isSpiral()) {//TAG. For tapered bores or threads
        linearize(tolerance);
        return;
      }
	  xOutput.reset();
      yOutput.reset();
      writeBlock(
	    gPlaneModal.format(getG17Code()), gMotionModal.format(directionCode), 
	    xOutput.format(circle.end.x), yOutput.format(circle.end.y), zOutput.format(circle.end.z),
        iOutput.format(circle.offset.x, 0), jOutput.format(circle.offset.y, 0), getFeed(feed));
      break;

I noticed in other post processors the iOutput and jOutput variables look like this:

iOutput.format(cx - start.x, 0), jOutput.format(cy - start.y, 0)

My post has a CircularData function to adjust the arcs to lie exactly on the circle. Okuma's need this otherwise they get fussy.

If I add the bolded code to my post it will output arcs for a tapered bore but they are incorrect.

I'd like to get it outputting the correct arcs to keep the file size to a minimum. These OSP300L controls can only handle a 2mb file size and I do a lot of milling in mine. Linearizing drives the file size up significantly.

Attached is my post and a test file to play with.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I'm not sure you can use arcs for tapered holes because the move is actually a spiral. Even if you split it up into 90° arcs the start to end radius would be different (a spiral not a helix).

Edit I have a control with a built in cycle for cutting threads and it can machine tapered threads so I guess it might be possible to use a cycle if your control has one.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Valid point. 

Though if you take a look at the test file I attached you'll see an Adaptive operation that uses a tapered ramp. If you post that code you'll see a few G3 moves during the ramp with some G1 moves to make up the difference. I was hoping to achieve the same kind of result. Perhaps I'm asking for something that isn't mathematically possible.

I suppose it could be this way because the tapered ramp doesn't have a tolerance whereas the Bore strategy does.

Message 4 of 5

@BrandonTBFBF wrote:

Valid point. 

Though if you take a look at the test file I attached you'll see an Adaptive operation that uses a tapered ramp.

Is that something new? Last time I used the taper ramp I'm sure I only got G01 moves. If you look at the toolpath data in Fusion the taper ramp is made from helical moves but the thread and bore are using spiral moves.

Clipboard01.png

I guess the ramp is just an approximation that's good enough for a ramp.

Does your machine have any threading cycles? It might be possible to mod a post processor to use them. I'd thought about it for the taper ramp but seems like I don't need to do that now Fusion's creating helical moves!

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Not sure how new that is and I never thought of taking a look at the toolpath data like that. Doh!

Forum cool points for you.

I just read through the manual and I didn't see any cycles that could do this. G1's it is!

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report