Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable 4 Axis Toolpath

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ktorokU233T
286 Views, 7 Replies

Suitable 4 Axis Toolpath

Up to this point most of our 4 axis work has been 3+1 or a "simple" wrapped tool path around the center of rotation. Just recently came across a job which looks like it would benefit from a 4 axis tool path, but the features are not positioned on the center of rotation. Not being very familiar with all the 4/5 axis tool paths ( I am on day 4 of a 14 day trial, and getting no where), I am coming up short in finding a good solution. I cannot share the actual part, but the following is an exact duplicate of the situation.

MA_Test.JPG

The above is a good representation of the surfaces I need to mill shown with the faces colored red. The part is aligned as it would be on the horizontal with full 4th axis. The work coordinate system is set up roughly the same as the actual part. Sorry, I did not include the tombstone or any work holding. The bottom corners of the slots need to remain "sharp" as shown, as this is the customer requirements. I would like to mill this as a "slot" with the radii on the ends as shown.

Looking for direction on a tool path strategy and how to set up the parameters to make this work. I have attached the .f3d file with the above setup.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ktorokU233T
in reply to: ktorokU233T

Any suggestions? Is it possible to create a tool path with Fusion for something like this?

Message 3 of 8
seth.madore

What machine are you running this part on? Is a large slot mill an option? What's the material and quantity?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Blend might be able to get you what you're looking for, and it will post out on a 4th axis post:

2023-06-08_06h22_34.png

That said, you're going to need to play with the Radial Stock to Leave and Stepover to get it to kiss the walls.

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
ktorokU233T
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore wrote:

What machine are you running this part on? Is a large slot mill an option? What's the material and quantity?

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a very busy morning.

This is being run on a full 4th 400mm horizontal mill. Slotting mill is not an option in this case. Material is 2024 AL and quantities are a little over 1000 a year in lot releases.

Ken

Message 6 of 8
ktorokU233T
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore wrote:

Blend might be able to get you what you're looking for, and it will post out on a 4th axis post:

That said, you're going to need to play with the Radial Stock to Leave and Stepover to get it to kiss the walls.

I thought I had tried that and it balked at using a flat end mill, but that could have been some other option I was looking at. I will look at this again later today and see what I might be able to do with blend. Thank You for taking a look.

Ken

Message 7 of 8
ktorokU233T

@seth.madore 

Could you possibly share a few of the parameters you set up in the multi axis tab of the blend toolpath? This is the area I am lacking in currently and I cannot make it follow the end radii without it telling me I need a ball end mill for a cutter. Your screen capture looks exactly like I was hoping to get, but I cannot make it happen.

Thanks,

Ken

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

Give this file a review

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report