Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on 3D toolpaths?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
David_HCB
212 Views, 7 Replies

Suggestions on 3D toolpaths?

Hi,

Anyone got thoughts on the best approach for machining the top 4 faces of this part. I haven't done much 3D and would welcome ideas from the group.

https://harrisonclassicboats-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/david_harrisonclassicboats_com_au/Eflm...

David

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
yd_kwon
in reply to: David_HCB

I don't know what 4 face project you are talking about.

The file in your link is a compressed file that is too large, please check it.

iCetnric - MFG
CAM-Fusion 360/Inventor
CAD-Fusion 360/Inventor
Before PowerMILL
Message 3 of 8
David_HCB
in reply to: yd_kwon

It’s a Fusion 360 archive file
David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's
Message 4 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: David_HCB

Holy file size batman! This thing took ages to upload 😀

For future reference, it's often easier (when sharing files) to break all the links to non-related components and just share the component and Setup/toolpath you're trying to work with 😉

I'd likely go with the Flow(Preference > Preview) for the larger section and a separate Flow(Preview) for the smaller. Reason for that is they each have different needs for U/V direction:

2023-02-17_08h00_40.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8

3D parallel 
1/4" ballnose
S8000
F75
.003" stepover. Use 8% if in wood (.02")

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 6 of 8

Interesting, how do you recommend speeds and feeds when OP has not given us the material this is?  Also, stepover of 0.003 with a 1/4" ballmill will result is a surface finish of 3Ra, which is better than mirror finish (mirror finish is between 6 to 12Ra).  Again, he has not supplied the finish he is after, just wanted guidance on a toolpath (otherwise he would have supplied these key informations).

Better would be to supply OP with the formula to figure out his own stepover according to the surface finish he requires I guess.  But since he didn't ask for that, he probably knows that part.

Sorry, I feel like a d*** answering this, but I just felt your answer was a very open ended one, and not really addressing the actual question. 😥

That said, 3d parallel was answering his question directly 😁 I'd second that choice.

Message 7 of 8

because its a ballnose on a shallow angle, its a real doubt that the actual SFM will be too high for whatever material he may be using. If its on a wood router, they can just double both numbers.

A .003" s-o will give him a good part from the get go, and if he wants to save time and decrease quality they can make that call after the run/simulate it. It may be a theoretical /3, but it does not look that good in real life - especially if you are cutting both ways or have any stuttering on the machine from the large code.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 8 of 8

But see, you are basing this on your own equipment.  How many flutes does his ballmill have?  What kind of machine does he have?  What kind of holder?  for example, I run my 1/4" ballmills at 20000rpm and stepovers of 0.010" for finishing and it looks amazing (again it depends what you are after).  I also tilt the tool so it's not using the tip as you mentioned, but maybe his machine can't tilt, maybe it can, who knows.  There are just too many variables to say "do this" in my opinion.  Anyways, I'm just wasting my time now lol, it's all good, anybody can give any answer they want and at the end of the day, it's the OP who takes what he needs.  Sorry about all this crap 😶

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report