Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock Upside down in soft jaws - Take II

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
richardsalzman
290 Views, 9 Replies

Stock Upside down in soft jaws - Take II

I tried posting this one before but somehow maybe I did not explain it well.  The red arrow points to the face of the part that I would like to use the facing operation to remove.  No matter how I use the joint commands, it ends up upside down when placed in the soft jaws.  Any idea as to how to make it right side up?

richardsalzman_1-1686527806825.png

See below, the part is upside down inside the soft jaws:richardsalzman_0-1686527685075.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi.  I think there may be a couple of things going on here.  You may benefit from watching this video:  
https://youtu.be/dYB3Bwj0ujU

Next, in this example I think you may have a CAM setup issue (not a Design Joint problem).  You may find your problem is solved by changing the stock offset settings. 

bradfrancola_0-1686529472319.png

Message 3 of 10

Hello Brad,

Very small world.  I have watched this video before as well as one from Clough42 (James Clough) on Youtube.  I actually watched a bunch of your videos on converting a mill to CNC and found them very helpful.  Thanks!

I am a bit confused by your answer.  I have been trying to learn how to use "stock from preceding setup" as I move from one operation to another.  If I am understanding you correctly, you are setting up the stock manually for the next operation.  What is even more confusing is that I originally used these exact setups and tool paths but did not use the joint commands to place the part in the soft jaws.  Prior to using the joint command, everything worked properly.  What am I missing here?

Message 4 of 10

Cool!  Like you said, "Small World."  

Now, I think I understand your original question more fully.  I believe you ARE having a Design Joint problem.  Let me make a little tweak to your file and post it for you to look at.  

Message 5 of 10

Thanks Brad.  As an aside I thought you may enjoy this post.  You will undoubtably see lot of parts/ideas that came from your awsome Youtube videos: https://forum.drdflo.com/t/another-pm-833tv-conversion/307/7 

Message 6 of 10

That is too cool!  Thanks for sharing - it really makes my day.  I'm glad my videos were helpful.   Also, it looks like you did really nice work on that mill.  

Message 7 of 10

You were really close.  I think the first thing that may have tripped you up was the fact that even though you assembled the part into the soft jaws, there wasn't anything before that to lock the part into place.  If you step through the design history, you'll see that after the part model comes into the assembly, the next thing is a joint (between the part and the assembly origin) to "lock" the part into place.  Then, after the vise jaws come into the assembly, I created a rigid group to lock the relative position of the two jaws to one another - they move but as a group.  Then, I assemble the Jaws onto the part.

Beyond that, I made a few assumptions about your machining and updated the setups.  

This is one of those things that is a lot easier to explain in person.  As I'm writing this, it seems more complicated than it really needs to be.  My apologies.  

bradfrancola_0-1686534515956.png

Message 8 of 10

Wow... I got it!  Thanks so much for all your effort.  I have been stuck on this one for quite some time.  So much appreciated!  If I follow this correctly, first I joined the part to the origin.  Then I joined the two jaws together to lock them together with rigid joint.  Then I assembled the part into the soft jaws.  I guess I am a bit confused as to why I had to lock the part to the origin and lock the two jaws together? 

Your Youtube video explains that each component has its own unique origin and its location is relative to that origin.  Are we in effect locking the part to main origin for the whole drawing (not sure if this has a name) and then locking the jaws together so everything is moving relative the main origin? 

Thanks again for taking the time to solve this one!  On a previous post no one could solve this.  I even had a private tutor try to solve it and his suggestion was to rotate the soft jaws 180 degrees.  Thanks again... Richard

When this process was demonstrated to me originally, I just remembered the "part" was joined to both the front and back jaws.  I had only been joining the part to the front jaw.  I tried this again as I thought this would lock all the parts together, but it does not work either.  The part ends up upside down in the soft jaws.  Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to better understand what I am doing.

Thanks... Richard

Message 9 of 10

This may help - as I recall, it attempts to describe the difference between bodies and components.  It may answer your question better than a written message.  
https://youtu.be/qCCS8JxmAQo

Message 10 of 10

Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report