Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock From Preceding Setup - Defining Origin

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
redmond.limited
163 Views, 2 Replies

Stock From Preceding Setup - Defining Origin

Hello,

In the attached, I have carried out a number of machining operations in a first setup, titled, "Top Side Machining 1st Block".

I have then created a second setup, titled, "Top Side Machining 2nd Block", using mode, "From preceding setup" with "Continue Rest Machining" ticked:

redmondlimited_0-1710797633255.png

My question is about setting the WCS origin.

When I select this second setup in the browser, it shoes me what the stock, generated by the previous machining operations, looks like.  I would like to select a corner of this stock (see below) as the origin for my WCS in the 2nd setup:

redmondlimited_1-1710797929595.png

However, when I edit the stock, so that I can select this point as the origin, it no longer shows me this and shows me this, instead:

redmondlimited_2-1710798024909.png

and I can't select the point I want to for my stock.

Can anybody offer any advice, please?

As ever, I would be very grateful for any comments at all.

The file is attached. 

Thanks,

Clem.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi, 

You can only really select box points from a bounding box that contained the original stock.

IMO Picking up on rough machined stock for subsequent operations is bad practice anyway as there is no guarantees its actually accurate.

What I would do here is machine a "Witness" at known location. 

I drew a sketch on the corner of the model that is 0.2mm away from the model edges, then in the first setup, I machine that corner.

For the second setup you can pick the corner of your sketch as the Origin for your WCS

alaasW8M6T_0-1710801472483.png

see attached

Message 3 of 3

Thank you very much for your advice.  As always, it is very helpful and has answered my question.

Thank you, once again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report