Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stepdowns are clustered in "Layers"

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dansemur
169 Views, 4 Replies

stepdowns are clustered in "Layers"

i dont understand why it does this, it takes 4x the time it usually does to cut.

using a cnc to carve 3d parts

looks like each cluster of passes are .15 though

edit:

i guess the toolpath I usually get are evenly spaced in the z axis to whatever step down I command. Now it’s more like a bunch of .02 pass bunched up in .1 with a .05 pass at the end. Here’s the link to the copied file

https://a360.co/44xNgFb

Capturddde.JPGCapturefddf.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: dansemur

That looks like expected behavior, the tool steps down at the maximum roughing stepdown, then machines everywhere it can, before moving down to the next 0.15 stepdown 

Can you describe what you are expecting it to do? maybe I'm misunderstanding.

If you could share your file here it will make it easier to troubleshoot

Message 3 of 5
dansemur
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

i guess the toolpath I usually get are evenly spaced in the z axis to whatever step down I command. Now it’s more like a bunch of .02 pass bunched up in .1 with a .05 pass at the end. Here’s the link to the copied file

https://a360.co/44xNgFb

Message 4 of 5
matty.fuller

Turn off Flat Area Detection, as there are obviously no flat areas in this model. It will calculate a LOT faster and cleaner.

You're also looking at 2 toolpaths laid over the top of each other, turn off the visibility of the Contour operation and you'll see that the Pocket operation has nice even stepdowns.

mattyfuller_0-1693447051289.png

Message 5 of 5
dansemur

OMG yes! i knew the toolpath were visibles, but indeed the falt area detection has made it alot quicker AND solved my problem, the passes are now clean. the problem happened in both the pocket and contour. thx so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums