Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Z point and travel when milling with xcarve pro

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
jonathan33FL7
359 Views, 17 Replies

Starting Z point and travel when milling with xcarve pro

I am having great luck using fusion and easel with the x carve pro.  One issue seems to be that when I start a carve the z axis traveling to the component isn't high enough.  I use the wasteboard top as my constant Z (which I prefer) and doing so seems to cause the machine not to travel to the beginning of the carve at a high enough distance to avoid cutting the project.  Is there a simple way to have fusion tell the machine what z to start the travel? thank you

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
seth.madore
in reply to: jonathan33FL7

Which post processor are you using?

When you hit the Start button, does the Z axis perform any motion at all, or does it remain at the height it was at when you started the program?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 18

I'm uploading the G code into easel.  When starting it moves to a z height that seems to be relative to the origin point.  But not high enough to clear the project itself if that project is higher than 3cm at least.  It clears anything under that.

You can see in the screenshot the travel to get there takes it right through the side of the piece.... 

Message 4 of 18

It does move the z axis a little.  Just not enough.

Message 5 of 18
seth.madore

Could you share your G-code here, as well as the Fusion file?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 18
jonathan33FL7
in reply to: seth.madore

sure thing....

Message 7 of 18

Message 8 of 18

I'm basically looking for a way to get my cnc to raise the z axis to the starting z in the file... before it moves to start carving... but something that I can set once in the file itself and not have to redo every time I export the g code.  I tried changing the "entry" position on the first cut's linking tab but that didn't seem to do it.

Message 9 of 18
seth.madore

Sorry for the delay in response, this thread slipped thru the cracks..

Give this post a try. What I've done is swapped the order in motion; Z first and then XY, rather than go to XY start and then move the Z axis.

TEST CAREFULLY!

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 18
jonathan33FL7

I uploaded it and got this message....

"Invalid post processor configuration"

Message 11 of 18
seth.madore

🤔

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 18
seth.madore

Do you have a Machine Configuration, and if so, what happens when you delete it and just use the post processor directly?

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 18
jonathan33FL7

I got it to post... I think I just forgot to select it... 😜

Running it now... standby

Message 14 of 18

That worked like a charm! and was EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I really appreciate the great customers service.  Thank you so much...

Message 15 of 18

It's working well but is there a way to make the exit or return Z height match the height coming in?  I'm getting the same issue with the bit leaving the project when it's cutting the middle or far side.  

Message 16 of 18
seth.madore

Hmm. It would be pretty easy to put a hardcoded value in there, such as Z20.mm or similar. Storing the initial Z position and recalling that at the end isn't as easy (for me to do)

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 18
jonathan33FL7

E0904960-43BC-4CA6-8B46-5634AA958ACC.jpeg

I get these if I finish on an inside cut. When the carve is done.  

Message 18 of 18
seth.madore

In your Post settings, what do you have your Retract behavior set to? If you set it to "Clearance Height", the last Z move should be above the part (per your Clearance Height setting in your toolpath)

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report