Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start and end extensions not working since update

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
TurtleRacing
407 Views, 13 Replies

Start and end extensions not working since update

The start and end extensions are not working. If you look at the selected chain, it shows the extensions as stated but when it runs the tool path and in simulation it is not following the commands.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
seth.madore
in reply to: TurtleRacing

Hey, thinks for raising this on the forums. Unfortunately, extensions aren't supported for the 2D Chamfer toolpath at this time (with the new UI). This was a limitation we were aware of when we released the UI, and we have it on our list to add back in. For the time being, use 2D Contour with a chamfer tool, this will open up new options for chamfering an edge

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 14
Jon_Bancroft
in reply to: seth.madore

Please push the team to reinstate this functionality. I understand 2D chamfer is a special "model aware" 2D operation, but surely they knew this was going to break many peoples workflows since 2D contour is not going to stop short of gouging neighboring feature when using the tangential extensions.
Message 4 of 14
TurtleRacing
in reply to: Jon_Bancroft

I can't begin to tell how tired of this I am getting! Every time there's an update there's something that doesn't work and we have to work around it. Then I never see it get fixed, or it's so low on their priorities. It's our inconvenience made by them so we have to deal with it and instead of fixing these issues, they go and make more "improvements"! This is even worse because they KNEW it was an issue, but they're so eager to release this crap that our inconvenience means nothing. One thing the team does not grasp the concept of at all is our habits, or flow, or whatever fancy name you want to give it. But every time there's a so called improvement, the resulting failure destroys my habits and flow, not to mention I have to come on here and waste my time trying to get it fixed. I would much rather be programming than playing around on the forum diagnosing their improvements.

Contouring a chamfer DOES NOT PREVENT GOUGING! This is not a work around. 

Message 5 of 14
seth.madore

We're well aware that 2D Contour is not the solution and are working on fixing this. We take all feedback seriously, both the good and the bad. We're never pleased when releases don't go as planned, and we take these missteps seriously, always evaluating where things went off kilter and how we can correct for the next release

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 14
DarthBane55

Just want to say that I agree 95% of what you said.  They sure are eager to release features that are not ready.

The 5% left would be about the 2d contour for chamfering not being a work around.  It actually is a work around, you can make it work, so it's a work around.  It's more work, but it's a work around (again, I agree, work arounds suck).  You need to play with the extensions, or draw sketches, but you can make it work.  I hope it's a very short term work around, but it is one.

Message 7 of 14
seth.madore
in reply to: DarthBane55

Right, but 2D Contour lacks collision avoidance, so coming up against shoulders tends to be a bit of trial and error to obtain the maximum amount of chamfer.

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 14
TurtleRacing

I will be honest here, you're a huge help and I don't mean any disrespect to you at all. BUT, this is constant, this is every time. If you're always evaluating and trying to improve for the next time then someone is doing a terrible job. There is zero improvement in releases, they always come with faults causing the user to adjust their strategies.
Why don't you guys for one month, just go back and fix ALL the issues you've created with your improvements instead of trying to make more? Then, maybe, spend one extra month troubleshooting your next round of improvements before release? Seriously, there's is nothing wrong with Fusion that needs to be "improved upon" so bad that we can't wait for you to spend more time on.

Habit is very hard to break, especially when they're unnecessary.
Message 9 of 14
seth.madore

No disrespect taken, I'm just a guy caught in the middle...

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 14
TurtleRacing

I get that, but being in the middle, maybe you need to really start pushing some buttons around you. I don't know what to do on my end, ever survey I make this issue very high on my feedback. This is "THE VERY REASON" I no longer recommend Fusion to anyone, I used to recommend Fusion to everyone. The idea of Fusion was great back in the beginning.
Until something changes this is all talk and I have to assume the people in charge don't give a crap about the user.
Message 11 of 14
Jon_Bancroft

Likewise here Seth, you are a good liaison 🙂

Coming from another CAM software (not integrated CAD/CAM like Fusion), which cost more than 10x the price, where we didn't even have a chamfer option at all.....Fusion is wonderful. But for every improvement to my workflow, something usually goes backward too.

I hope the 2D chamfer issue is resolved soon. I also hope the drilling IPR issue is resolved.

The improvements to contour selection look promising. They changed the behavior I was used to, but didn't remove it. The extra options there are worth the "re-adjustment period". 2D chamfer is just different since it's model aware, I assume.

I wish there was more extensive Beta testing before major workflow changes.

Message 12 of 14
rengfx

There can be better communication about things however

There should be sticky threads at the top of this forum to address the common bugs / issues with new releases, this forum the last week has basically just been "2d Chamfer extensions are broken!" and "I can't select geometry like I am used to!", or "drilling is broken now why would you do that!?"

The insider program is not catching these issues, and then the userbase has to bear the brunt of discovering them

Message 13 of 14
TurtleRacing
in reply to: rengfx

This doesn't help me one bit. I do not want to try to do something I was able to do yesterday then have to come in here and find out why I can't do it, and the fact it will get ignored and probably never get fixed. A sticky does not fix the issue. Not presenting the issue fixes the issue. Proofing their work fixes the issue. Not using us as their test dummies fixes the issue.
Message 14 of 14
seth.madore

Chamfer Extensions have been fixed in the update that went out last night, sorry for the inconvenience! 

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report