Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spur Gear Error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
segittins
447 Views, 5 Replies

Spur Gear Error

Hi, I am creating a spur gear train and have a 8 toothed gear, when I try to create it I get the following error 'drawgear failed : 5 : some input argument is invalid.'.

segittins_0-1666796235410.png

Can anyone help please?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
2herds
in reply to: segittins

Without more study, my 1st thought (or question) is the actual size of the gear something that 8 teeth will fit on?

What I mean is can the blank size you set "fit" 8 teeth? There is a correlation between the pitch and circumference.

I have made some gears for my lathe, but I had a known gear to start with so size and teeth were known.

Message 3 of 6
segittins
in reply to: 2herds

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Managed to figure it out, for some reason the spur gear app wasn't happy with the 'backlash' setting at 0.5, setting it to 0.3 generated the gear.

Regards
Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

Both of these are a bit big for the module size. Normally something around 10% of the module should be used.

EDIT. 10% for the root radius is about right but I guess backlash will depend on how you manufacture the gear. I use about 0.01mm on gears I wire erode, for 3d printing you'd need to experiment. One thing to be aware of, gears with less than about 16 teeth need undercuts in the root to stop interference so for these gears the add in does not create good gears.

HughesTooling_0-1666866263420.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
segittins
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I managed to find out what was wrong and the backlash value was too high, reducing this to 0.3 fixed the error.

Thanks again. :-))

Message 6 of 6
omatto_s

This error is caused by a code bug in c:/Program Files/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/540c9578410bc15ff261605667cfced82aa9ac6d/Python/AddInSamples/SpurGear/commands/spurGearCreate/logic.py

If you speak python, you might be able to fix the bug yourself.   Specifically, when making small gears, sometimes the code can make an arc which is too 'straight' - ie. to the numerical precision fusion360 uses, it appears to be a straight line.

The fix is simple - just make it a straight line!   I changed this line of code:

toothSketch.sketchCurves.sketchArcs.addByThreePoints(spline1.endSketchPoint, midPoint, spline2.endSketchPoint)

into this line of code:

toothSketch.sketchCurves.sketchLines.addByTwoPoints(spline1.endSketchPoint, spline2.endSketchPoint)

And suddenly the whole thing works again!   Note that if you get the error, inspecting the partially completed gear tells you which part it failed at, which gives clues where to adjust the code.

Hopefully the fusion 360 devs can incorporate that fix into the next version!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report