Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot drill drills too deep on corner holes

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
monti.eng2020
221 Views, 12 Replies

Spot drill drills too deep on corner holes

Hi
I have deleted all the other operations and left the problem operation here on its own.  Look at what happens to the four corner holes.  The spot goes 30mm deep, but I've selected the chamfer at the top of the hole.  And to make things even stranger, there are two other holes that are the same diameter.  Those holes were spotted the right depth.  So why did it go deeper on the corners???

Thanks

Marco

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: monti.eng2020

Hi,

Because you are using select same diameter, its also picking the drill points at the bottom of your holes.

alaasW8M6T_0-1706158051356.png

Your other holes are flat bottomed.

alaasW8M6T_1-1706158095782.png

You can solve this by checking only same hole depth or only same z height, both work in this case

alaasW8M6T_2-1706158164014.png

Message 3 of 13
DarthBane55
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

It does that?!  That seems like a failed algorithm to me!  I understand the fix, it's fine, but I think it should be looked at, seems a bit crazy that it considers the drill point as a different hole...  kind of funny actually...

Message 4 of 13

It looks like he may be selecting the actual chamfers, and not the "hole" which is why it may also include the drill points. Not right to me either, but may at least be the logic behind it. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 5 of 13

While I suspect that is why it's happening (same diameters), they do have different angles, with the top chamfer being a 90 degree and the bottom of the drilled hole being a 140 degree

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 13
DarthBane55
in reply to: seth.madore

I know nobody likes comparisons, but this does not happen in Inventor CAM, so at some point in Fusion the logic got screwed up, or it's just what @programming2C78B said, that would be more like it (or acceptable I guess).  I never pick the drill tip when picking holes, so I don't know if Inventor CAM would do the same if picking the drill tip instead of the actual hole.  I'll try later to see what happens.

Message 7 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: DarthBane55

Yes, Inventor behaves the same way when selecting the chamfer diameter:

2024-01-25_10h38_59.png

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 13
DarthBane55

Seth, I do this all the time, I select the top chamfer often.  Not the bottom one though.  I never got what you are showing!  In your example, is the drill tip the same angle as the top chamfer?  If so, then maybe, but usually the angle is different.  If your angle is different, then I am really surprised, never ever had this behavior!!  CAM 2024?

Message 9 of 13
seth.madore

I think I'm still on Inv 2022 ( I don't use it at all, just keep it around for the Cimco Edit)

Different angles between the chamfer and the drill hole bottom

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 13
DarthBane55

Very strange, I pick the chamfer sometimes, but I do that for a good 8 years I would say, and never got that behavior!

Yes, that Cimco editor rules, I really like it.  Customize colors for each critical thing you want to keep an eye on and stuff, makes reading g-codes much faster!

Message 11 of 13
DarthBane55

@seth.madore ok wait a second...  hehe, so you selected a hole with the countersink, and for another hole you selected the drill point, is that what you did?  In that case, the software behaves correctly isn't it?  I'm getting confused I think!  I thought the original question was that he selected the countersinks, but that the software was looking at the drill point on the model and drilling some holes with the drill point depth and some with the csink depth.

Message 12 of 13
seth.madore

No, I just selected the top chamfer diameter of one hole and then turned on "Select Same Diameter"

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 13
DarthBane55

well, thanks for checking, this never, ever happened to me in many many years of using the software!  I wonder what triggers it!  But anyway, I am not affected, so I don't care all that much about this "bug" lol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report