Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specifying a finishing pass on the bore toolpath doesn't add a finishing pass and instead just adds stock to leave

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
FrodoLoggins
283 Views, 10 Replies

Specifying a finishing pass on the bore toolpath doesn't add a finishing pass and instead just adds stock to leave

When checking off Finishing Passes (not sure why that's plural considering there's no option to add more than one finishing pass) finishing passes don't get added. It just decides to bore a smaller diameter hole:

This forum still thinks some public Youtube videos are private after all this time so here's the link:

https://youtu.be/-FohPv8Ce4c

Been like that since I started using the Bore operation so probably like 4 years.

Maybe the finishing passes are just behind an extension paywall?

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarthBane55
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

****!  that's a nasty bug this one!  Glad Inventor doesn't do this, I use this operation all the time, I would have a lot of scrap parts by now!  Hope it gets fixed asap!

Message 3 of 11
engineguy

@FrodoLoggins 

Don`t see a "bug" here, it is an odd way to use the Boring Operation but it does appear to work OK here, I have no idea if it is actually "expected behaviour" but it does work, in the attached Screencast I have just done a simple Bore Operation with a Finish pass, and yes it appears to leave some stock to be cleared by the Finish Pass, that would to me be the correct way for it to work, if a Repeat Pass is added then all that does is repeat the last cut so if you don`t want any "stock to leave" as you describe it then don`t set a finish Pass just use the Repeat Pass if you have set the Bore Operation to clear out the full Hole.

All seems pretty Logical to me, anyway link below for the Screencast, if you are not able to use the Bore Operation as above then yes, I would say there is either a "bug" or it is a Mac issue 🙂 🙂

Screencast Link here :-   https://autode.sk/3WJW0En

Message 4 of 11
DarthBane55
in reply to: engineguy

@engineguy yours behaves normally, as expected.  But for @FrodoLoggins , if you watched his video, it behaves very differently.  That's definitely a bug, and you can't use it that way as it will not do an actual finish pass.  So yeah, really strange that it works for you and not for him.  Mac bug maybe as you said.  Inventor behaves like yours (as expected).

PS: funny that the word "d - a - m - n" got automatically changed to *** in my previous answer, is it that bad lol

Message 5 of 11
engineguy
in reply to: DarthBane55

@DarthBane55 

Yep, looks like the AI got you, bad boy 🙂 🙂 🙂 Have to be ultra careful these days with what/how you say things, world has gone "PC" crazy !!!!

Re @FrodoLoggins issue, in the video I see that when the box for the Finish Pass is selected the Stepover box does seem to appear but is covered up by the "flyout" so no idea what it is set to.

An example file from @FrodoLoggins would be helpful as there is no real way to diagnose just from the video what is happening 🙂

Message 6 of 11
DarthBane55

but... you can clearly see in his video, the finish pass moves inward, and the checkbox for finish allowance is unchecked.  So it leaves some allowance, and that is not expected behavior if the finish allowance is at zero.

Message 7 of 11
engineguy

@DarthBane55 

Looks to me it is the actual roughing toolpath that moves in, that is the same as in my example, there will be a "default" value that we are not able to see as it is hidden by the "flyout", most likely it is 0.04 which seems to be the default for most things in the Inches mode, if so then it is "expected behaviour" but as before, hard to tell from a "fuzzy" video 🙂

Message 8 of 11
DarthBane55

Oh, watch it directly in YouTube, the video is crystal clear to me!  You'll then see, both passes move, the roughing and the finishing pass, they both move inwards.

Message 9 of 11
engineguy

@DarthBane55 

Yes, both toolpaths move inward but as far as I can see they are both "Roughing Passes" as it is set to "Multiple Passes" a quantity of 2 with a 0.03 Stepover, when the "Finishing Passes" is selected then they move inward, exactly the same as my example and that would be IMHO "expected behaviour".

The video does not show the default setting for the "Finishing Pass" as it is obscured, nor does it show the bottom of the hole so not able to see if a "Finishing Pass" has actually been created or not, below is a screenshot of what I get from YouTube with the quality setting at maximum.

Is it possible this is a little "practical joke" on the part of the OP to see if anyone can spot the illusion being created here ???

Fuzzy or what ???Fuzzy or what ???

Message 10 of 11
FrodoLoggins

It looks like you are correct. The boring toolpath uses a contour as it’s finish pass? That’s a good option to have but it would be nice to have the ability to change the feedrate, maybe an option to keep a helical move as the finish strategy as well.

The finish pass is 5 thou, shown quickly I think twice in the video in my OP, however rather quickly.

Also, I believe opening the video in a new tab or full screening it the resolution you see would be much better. 

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 11 of 11
engineguy

@FrodoLoggins 

Yes, I would agree with you absolutely, it would be nice to have the Speed adjustment for the finish pass, would help a lot.

Probably the best "workaround" would be to do an extra Operation and use a proper Adjustable Boring Head to finish the hole off, just use the Milling Method to Rough out the majority of the material, that way you would get a good circular hole, milling a hole will never be perfectly circular.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report