Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something changed in the Engraving toolpath, a step backward?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tgford58
142 Views, 5 Replies

Something changed in the Engraving toolpath, a step backward?

I am trying to perform an engraving operation using a tool and method that has worked in the past.   First I had to suppress the customer's embossed profiles and supplant it with a Simplex12 font on the surface.  This was to avoid the tool following the border of each letter.  Using a tool that has worked in the past, a Lakeshore Carbide engraving tool, I first had to redefine the tool as an engraving or chamfer tool, instead of the drawn form tool it was designed. 

The engrave toolpath gives an error on any straight sections and will only engrave circular letters.  My work around is using Trace, something I've had to do in the past.  My question is, What has changed?   I was able to use this tool and the engrave toolpath successfully in the recent past.

There has got to be a best method of A. Engraving using an embossed letter or B.Using an engraving toolpath on the limited single stroke fonts available.

What am I missing?

Thank you for the help and information.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: tgford58

Couple observations/comments:

1) Customer supplied a file with raised lettering, but you want it engraved, correct?
2) You've selected a "Single Line Font". Trace is the toolpath to use, not Engrave.

3) Defining the tool as a Chamfer/Engrave tool is the proper definition, but a Form tool also works with Trace

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
programming2C78B

If you want to use Engrave to create sharp corners, you must have some sort of pocket feature modeled. I use arial, exploded text, then extrude it down. Trace is for simpler engravings where single stroke suffices. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 4 of 6
tgford58
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore    Correct Seth   The customer's drawing was a raised emboss which I initially projected then extruded to get a relief.   I couldn't get a toolpath that didn't follow both sides of each letter so I overlayed the simple font and switched to the trace command.

I've never been successful getting a clean engrave using on a complex font of embossed font using engrave.  Perhaps I'm just not taking the time to understand it but I do have some frustrations.

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 6
seth.madore

Give this a view:

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
tgford58
in reply to: seth.madore

You move with such confidence.  Amazing to watch.

Removing the bodies was a step I didn't take and my bet was the bodies got in the way during selection?

In any event I had time to replicate your work and once again I am in your debt.

Thank you for the education.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report