Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoothing drops part of a path?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
franklinLCDW
196 Views, 6 Replies

Smoothing drops part of a path?

Engraving a path using Fusion 360 Trace. The design is made in Adobe Illustrator, exported as DXF.

Strangely, when I turn on Smoothing in the passes tab of the Trace options, one particular part of the curve drops out. With Smoothing off, it generates gcode that works correctly. With smoothing on, regardless of the smoothing amount, one particular bit of the curve, and it's always exactly the same bit, drops out (see pictures with smoothing off and smoothing on).

Is this a bug in Fusion 360, or something else

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: franklinLCDW

Please attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
franklinLCDW
in reply to: jhackney1972

Fusion 360 file attached.

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

What post processor are you using?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
franklinLCDW
in reply to: seth.madore

The machine is a Makera Carvera; I'm using the postprocessor supplied by Makera.

Message 6 of 7
seth.madore

Okay, I've downloaded the Carvera post processor and processed out your code. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the backplot toolpath does not show this skip:

2023-11-02_09h08_28.png

You can also open this in NC Viewer (just drag the file onto the screen) and the results are the same

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 7
franklinLCDW
in reply to: seth.madore

That's extremely weird. The skip definitely exists in the machined piece, and vanishes with smoothing off. A bug in the machine firmware, perhaps?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report