Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single-Point RH Threading - Reversed Direction

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jesse.lamphere
137 Views, 5 Replies

Single-Point RH Threading - Reversed Direction

Hello all!

I am trying to cut a right-hand thread while turning the spindle backward and feeding left-to-right. I have to have the part oriented this way to do live-tool milling on the main spindle.

Front QuarterFront QuarterRear QuarterRear Quarter

The trouble is that while Fusion allows me to flip the tool ("Clockwise spindle rotation" is unchecked in the tool's Setup tab) and it even generates a toolpath in the correct direction, it moves the tool as if the tool tip is read from the left-most edge of the insert. It simulates this same (wrong) movement, mas well as outputting the wrong code. It's as though one part of Fusion doesn't notice the flipped tool, and generates the required movements based off the left-most edge of the insert, but then it outputs movement coordinates that are based off the right-most edge of the insert.

Tool Setup Tab. "Clockwise Spindle Rotation" is unchecked.Tool Setup Tab. "Clockwise Spindle Rotation" is unchecked.Toolpath. It seems like Fusion is using the left-most edge to calculate the toolpath, when it should be the right-most edge.Toolpath. It seems like Fusion is using the left-most edge to calculate the toolpath, when it should be the right-most edge.Crash!Crash!

Here's the snippet of output code, for reference:

(Thread2)
M1
T202
G99
G50 S3000
G97
S500 M4
G55
/ M8
G18
G0 Z0.1734
X1.55
G92 X0.3345 Z0.6084 F0.0625
G0 Z0.1776
G92 X0.3197 Z0.6126 F0.0625
G0 Z0.1808
G92 X0.3083 Z0.6158 F0.0625
G0 Z0.1835
G92 X0.2987 Z0.6185 F0.0625
G0 Z0.1859
G92 X0.2903 Z0.6209 F0.0625

M9
G53 G0 X0.
G53 Z-8.
M5

What the heck am I doing wrong???
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You need to adjust your Confinement to this value (thereabouts, anyways):

2023-09-26_10h36_10.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6

@seth.madore, thanks for the really fast response! I don't yet understand how you got those numbers, other than possibly looking at the code output and adjusting for the difference; I'll play with it a little more.

What confounded me was that I just did something similar with a 35DEG turning tool, and it worked as it should. It's odd that this seems to be a threading-specific issue.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6

The numbers were honestly just a guess, I didn't spend much time looking at the code. I shifted it one way and then the other until I got something that was visually correct.

To clarify; you are using a RH tool that's been flipped over in the turret, correct?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 6

And yes, there are known issues with how Threading is defined and works in Fusion 😞

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 6

Correct! It reverses the spindle rotation, and the tool is physically flipped appropriately. We've done this pretty often in the past, but we're still learning how to use CAM on a twin-spindle, live tool lathe. We used to hard-code every line, which was great for optimizing certain things, but had a few too many nasty surprises.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report