Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side horizontal drills

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
daniele_spagli
234 Views, 6 Replies

Side horizontal drills

Hi, I am struggling with the problem of horizontal drilling from slot of time and I am still not able to find s practical solution.

My machine have a set of side horizontal drill from back, front, right and left. The drills have a specific tool name but each time I need to select the correct direction for each tool instead of simply say that each tool correspond to an axis of the current wcs.

I wold like also to do a template where to save this informations but the template is not able to save any direction, can only save if I check the invert axis in the tool direction (that's a little weird but us ok).

I am sure that I am not the only one with this kind of problem, how have you solved it?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I'm not exactly following along with the issue you're having. What sort of machine is this?

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7

Hi, the machine is an SCM tech z1 and is nothing special. Is a cnc for wood working that have a set of horizontal drills, like plenty of other machine.

The "problem"is that if I want to use the side drill I need to specificate the tool orientation manually, while simply the tool 58 can machine only from the right side of the piece (Z orient on the X wcs), the 68 from left (X reverse) etc.

All work perfectly, but is time consuming and can cause error if I want to change the orientation of the panel or if I select the wrong line fo reference of the tool orientation.

The perfect and efficient way to use it would be to connect the tool orientation with a specific axis of the wcs and save it on a template.

The problem is that is not possible and each time I insert this machining I need to select the tool orientation in the correct way or orient all the panels in the design how would be machine, orient a full set and copy it through all the setup.

As you imagine it require time and is a really stupid way to spend time in, it can be easily automate and error free.

Daniele

Message 4 of 7

My last try was to make a script that changes the tool orientation according to the wcs axis, to launch after I assign the template to the setup.

It's late and I am not good with python and API, I know that I need to follow a special rule to assign the geometry to the selection but now I need to sleep and I am not 100% sure that I can assign a vector to this specific parameter.

I attach some line of the code that I add to my existing script that set the origin and the name of the setups, if someone want to contribute to finish it I will appreciate, else I will follow the thread with the hopefully right script. 🙂

good night

(origin, xAxis, yAxis, zAxis) = setup.workCoordinateSystem.getAsCoordinateSystem()

for op in ops:
                    opName=op.name
                    if opName=='BORR 8 LEFT':
                        opToolOrient0=op.parameters.itemByName('overrideToolView')
                        opToolOrient0.expression="true"
                        opToolOrient1=op.parameters.itemByName('view_orientation_mode')
                        opToolOrient1.expression="'axesZX'"
                        opToolOrientZ=op.parameters.itemByName('view_orientation_axisZ')
                        opToolOrientZ.expression="true"
                        opToolOrientZ.expression.value=xAxis

clearly ops is the variable that refer the operations inside the setup.

Message 5 of 7

While we don't have this ability currently, it's something we're keen on solving in the near term. Part of the work we are undertaking currently should give users the ability to save Tool Orientation intent in their Templates (among many other QoL improvements)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7

Nice to hear that, it will save alot of time and potential errors.

For now I am trying to implement by API, but I am still not able to select the right direction in an easy way. Do you know if I can use the vector of the X or Y axis that I extract from the wcs like in the python script in the previous post or I must draw a line follow this vector and try to insert this value?

(origin, xAxis, yAxis, zAxis) = setup.workCoordinateSystem.getAsCoordinateSystem()

for op in ops:
                opName=op.name
                if opName=='BORR 8 LEFT':
                    cadObjectParam: adsk.cam.CadObjectParameterValue = opToolOrientZ.value
                    zdirection=cadObjectParam.value
                    zdirection.append(xAxis)
                    cadObjectParam.value = zdirection

I have tried to follow the indication in the documentation but it still does not seems to work.

thanks

Daniele 

Message 7 of 7

It seems that I able to find the way to set correctly (at least most of the time) the Z orientation. I paste here my work in progress code hoping that can help someone.

I will try to ask some help  in the API section of the forum.

have a good day all

import adsk.core, adsk.cam, traceback, os

def run(context):
    ui = None
    try:
        app = adsk.core.Application.get()
        doc = app.activeDocument
        products = doc.products
        design = app.activeProduct
        if not design:
            ui.messageBox('No active Fusion design', 'No Design')
            return

# Get the CAM product
        cam = adsk.cam.CAM.cast(products.itemByProductType("CAMProductType"))

# List of all setups
        setups = cam.setups

for setup in setups:

#keep model in the setup
            setupBodies=setup.models

#check and count programs already exist
            ops=setup.operations
            opsNum=ops.count

if setupBodies.count>0:

setupFirstBody=setupBodies.item(0)

for op in ops:
                    opName=op.name
                    if opName.startswith('BORR 8 LEFT'):

firstBody=setupFirstBody
                        facesModel=firstBody.faces
                        #transBody=firstBody.transform
                        #transMatrix=transBody.asMatrix()

searchEdge=True
                        rak=0
                        rakMax=facesModel.count
                        while searchEdge and rak<=rakMax:

faceModel=[]
                            faceModel=facesModel.item(rak)
                            rak=rak+1
                            facePlane=faceModel.geometry
                            if facePlane.objectType=="adsk::core::Plane":
                                faceNormal=facePlane.normal
                                if xAxis.isParallelTo(faceNormal):
                                    newZ=faceModel
                                    cadObjectParam=[]
                                    cadObjectParam: adsk.cam.CadObjectParameterValue = opToolOrientZ.value
                                    opZ=cadObjectParam.value
                                    opZ=newZ

cadObjectParam.value = [opZ]
                                    angleZs=abs(xAxis.angleTo(faceNormal))
                                    if angleZs>1:
                                        op.parameters.itemByName('view_orientation_flipZ').expression='false'
                                    else:
                                        op.parameters.itemByName('view_orientation_flipZ').expression='true'

searchEdge=False

#axis=cadObjectParam.value
                        #axixAxiss.assign(xAxis)
                        #if newZ.isValid:
                    #regen operation of the setup
                    cam.generateToolpath(op)      

except:
        if ui:
            ui.messageBox('Failed:\n{}'.format(traceback.format_exc()))

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums