Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup for lathe

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
IanMacDonald4987
182 Views, 3 Replies

Setup for lathe

IanMacDonald4987_0-1684953288965.png

I have a lathe attached to my CAM (CAMaster Panther).  For lathe operations, the rotary axis is the X-axis (+/- degrees); the Z-axis raises and lowers a router bit, and the Y-axis is translation along the the piece--see picture.  I can make a setup file for a piece I want to turn, but the profile turning options do not recognize this setup.  Can I even use Fusion 360 with this operation or do I need to use a different software with my lathe?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Is this simply a single speed driven lathe spindle, or does it have indexing ability? What sort of tooling are you planning on using; endmills that are spinning while the part is turning, or are you going to use lathe tooling?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4

This is an indexed lathe set up like a normal wood-turners lathe.  It translates the X-Y-Z axes so that the X-axis is degrees of rotation, Y is movement of the tool *along* the rotational axis, and Z is cutting into the piece toward the rotational axis.  I can program V-carve to form the piece with a 1/2" ball-nose router bit, but would prefer to use Fusion.  The Fusion-supported lathes set-ups all seem to be for metal working lathes.  Photos show lathe from chuck and tailstock POV.  Router tool is positioned to cut.

chuck.jpgtailstock.jpg

Message 4 of 4

@IanMacDonald4987 

Hmmm, looks more like a Router with a 4th axis rather that a Lathe, try going down the 4th axis route in Fusion, it should work, however, if you are looking to have the stock rotating constantly and the cutting tool following a shape in the Z (Head rising and falling) then you may need to look at having the "Machining Extension" where there is the "Rotary" toolpath that I think will do what you want, you can get a trial of it if you don`t already have it 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report