Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up some insets and chamfers for CNC. New to Fusion 360 and CNC.

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kevinEM1
577 Views, 15 Replies

Setting up some insets and chamfers for CNC. New to Fusion 360 and CNC.

Hello All,

I'm very new to CNC and Fusion 360. I mainly 3d print on my Snapmaker Artisan, but I've gotten it into my head that i want to CNC a dicebox. I've set up a model and made two components. A lid and a box. I have some 2D contours setup for the body and pockets for the magnets and dice slots. But I'm at a loss on how to set up paths for 3 parts of the box.

My model:

ModelModel

1. Unsure how to setup a path for this edge? I got one setup but it 'hops' over the inset

2nd edge2nd edge

2. The inset I can't seem to figure out any path. I suspect I need to use a 3d slope path.

EdgeEdge

3. I tried using a 2d chamfer but i'm not getting a good result with the bit offset

ChamferChamfer

My current paths look like this:

pathspaths

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
CNC_Lee
in reply to: kevinEM1

@kevinEM1 

1 - can be achieved with a 2D contour toolpath chained to the profile geometry of the edge.
2 - can be achieved with a 2D contour or trace toolpath using a ball endmill and driving the tool with some geometry to define the centerline of the slot or "inset".
3 - can also be achieved with a 2D contour using a chamfer mill or spot drill with the chamfer parameters defined under the Passes Tab.

If my post answers your question, please use Accept as Solution.

CNC Lee
Fusion 360 CAM Post Processor Expert
https://linktr.ee/cnclee
Message 3 of 16
kevinEM1
in reply to: CNC_Lee

Hi @CNC_Lee,

Thank you for your time it's already helped quite a bit (pun intended).

1. Im not sure what you mean with chaining to the profile geometry. But selecting the upward face of the lower edge i got this:

Screenshot 2023-08-18 230839.png

2. I guessing I need a longer bit for the inset.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 230626.png

3. For the chamfer i'm trying to select the 2d Chamfer option, setting width: 0, clearance: 0, tip offset to 0.1mm. But i'm getting empty path warnings if i select the contour.

Message 4 of 16
CNC_Lee

@kevinEM1 

Potentially! It is hard to tell exactly what you have going on without reviewing the file.

CNC Lee
Message 5 of 16
kevinEM1

@CNC_Lee Added some more context to my above post. Trying to find out how to attach my file!

Message 6 of 16
CNC_Lee

@kevinEM1 

You can attach files under the chat box as shown:

Screenshot 2023-08-18 152916.png

CNC Lee
Message 7 of 16
kevinEM1
in reply to: CNC_Lee

I got that but i mean where and which file 😛  Should I just export a .f3d?

Message 8 of 16
CNC_Lee

@kevinEM1 

Correct! Export the .f3d file and attach it.

CNC Lee
Message 9 of 16
kevinEM1

@CNC_Lee  Attached!

Message 10 of 16
seth.madore

Give this file a look. I've added a few toolpaths; 3D Contour to rough the inset, 2D Contour to machine the chamfers (you're chamfer tool was defined as 10 degrees, you've modeled 45's).

To open the file: Click on "File" > Open > Open from me computer > Select file

2023-08-20_05h04_17.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 11 of 16
kevinEM1
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore many thanks! Very helpful, learned a lot about the different contours already. I do have some more questions about the file if you don't mind.

1. Looking at the 2D adaptive contour, I see you selected the inner chain and then used the stock contour toggle to define a 2nd border of sorts. Is that correct?
  2. The 2nd outside box contour, is that to smooth out the existing edge?
  3. Hopefully, I understand the next bit correctly, you used a 3D contour to first define the bottom size and the upper size and then use a 2nd 3D contour to slope between those two.

Much appreciated, learning CNC and Fusion is amazingly good fun.

Message 12 of 16
seth.madore

1) Yes

2) The Adaptive had "Stock to Leave", so we need a toolpath to finish those surfaces

3) Yes, the 1st toolpath roughs it out, the second one finishes. Of course, if this is a soft material and the machine is stout enough, you could likely just use the second toolpath to act as both rough and finish

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 16
kevinEM1

Hi @seth.madore,

Cheers for the support thus far. Set me on the right path. Wanted to share some lessons learned.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 14.11.41.jpg

1. I gotta tighten those clamps!
  2. Somehow, my machine (Snapmaker Artisan) ignored the set spindle speed and went for the full 18000 rpm, which is why i think there is a lot of fraying. Is this where I should add stepping?
  3. My machine also ignored the 'Force tool change' commands and simply stopped altogether.
  4. I moddeled my box with a 17mm height, but i forgot to account for a 0.7mm in stock. How best to fix this? Do i shave it off or can I set the setup stock to have 0.7mm at the bottom?

Coincidentally, when i turned it on i started smelling this really strong burning smell. Thought it was my project, turns out there was a fire on the 1st floor. 

Cheers!

Message 14 of 16
seth.madore

1) Yep, folks often underestimate the cutting forces at play. It's something that's understood better over time (the same can be said for over-tightening)

2) Does your machine support specific RPM control, or is it manually controlled with a rheostat?

3) Does your machine have a tool changer, or does that need to happen manually? If it's manual, I would expect the machine to just stop and wait for you to command a "cycle start"

4) Are you saying that your part is thicker than it should be?

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 16
kevinEM1

@seth.madore Hi Seth, seems I need to manually set the speed on the machine. I saw mention somewhere that I need t use a different post processor to make it accept the speed and stop command so i think that's the next thing I will look at.

Regarding the part, it's thicker by about 0.7mm. If in Fusion i orient it in the setup box towards the top with extra stock at the bottom. it should be fine, right?

Message 16 of 16
kevinEM1

@seth.madore I used a different post processor for the Snapmaker Artisan that was maintained by someone with the same challenges. Speed was still ignored but I could use my machine to set it to 12000 rpm instead of 18000 rpm. I've created different cnc files for the insets so I don't have to use the stop action. Sadly this was the result:

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-24 at 18.34.20.jpg

at 94% the bit went off the path somehow and my machine stopped and threw an error. Maybe it's the wood?

After a quick Google i see that I'm using a hardwood called Meranti.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums