Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a single-point thread mill

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
scott83U4Y
206 Views, 3 Replies

Setting up a single-point thread mill

I'm trying to set up a single-point thread mill but am running into some difficulties.  The thread mill has a cutting diameter of 3.45 mm, but a neck diameter of 1.84 mm (the shank diameter is 4.75 mm).  There doesn't seem to be a way of changing the cutting diameter relative to the neck, so I end up with really tiny cutting tips, like this:

scott83U4Y_0-1688552042166.png

As a result, the simulation shows the neck cutting away material, leaving shallow threads like this:

scott83U4Y_1-1688552202019.png

In principle, it shouldn't matter, since the cutter will clear the material if I get the adjustments right.  But it's such a delicate tool that I'd like the simulation results to be accurate.  Is there any way to fix this?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: scott83U4Y

The only way to fix this (currently) is to define the tool as a Form Tool. This will require you creating a sketch of the cross section of the tool (just half the tool) and then you'll get the exact dimensions you're looking for. We are working on improving this experience, but it's a little bit further down the list than some might like..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
rengfx

Play with the shaft settings (you don't mention the length so I couldn't add that properly) and you'll get a better representation of your threadmill without needing to use a form tool

threadmill.png

shaftedit.png

  

Message 4 of 4
scott83U4Y

Thanks, Seth and rengfx.  The shaft settings look interesting, but don't quite get what I need, since the tooth itself needs to be larger to make the cut I want (I should be just able to get a 1 mm pitch with this tool if I get the offsets right).  But I'll give the form tool a shot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report