Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selection machining boundary behaving oddly

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tobiashagge
268 Views, 10 Replies

selection machining boundary behaving oddly

I am trying to machine by using an adaptive pass, followed by a parallel pass. This is a two-sided carving, with tabs; I'm using a machining boundary which is a selection from a sketch curve. Pictures are attached. The adaptive pass is mostly okay, but there is a circled area where cut extends farther beyond the machining boundary than I specified. This is harmless, but in the parallel pass, there is a similarly shaped area outside the boundary which is machined and a roughly (not exactly) triangular patch within the boundary that is not machined.

I have verified in simulation that there is in fact uncut material in the unmachined region, even when "stock to leave" is bumped up to .1 inch.

Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

One thing to note is that the Model is not included in your setup for that parallel operation. Just "tabs" 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: tobiashagge

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 11
tobiashagge

I was able to get around the issue by resculpting the mesh and recreating the timeline from mesh import. However, it would be better not to rely on that method. I suspect some issue with the mesh, or the chain that forms the machining boundary. I've attached the project prior to the rework.

Edit: link was broken. See below for the file.

Message 5 of 11
seth.madore

Hmm, something went wrong in the export of that file, as I'm not able to open it 🤔

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 11
tobiashagge

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the exported file was too big to attach. I remeshed the mesh, verified that the problem still occurs, and attached.

Message 7 of 11
tobiashagge

The issue appears to be due to a bug: the intersect tool can produce paths containing points which are so close together that they confuse the cam tooling. In the picture below, I created a 2d contour cut around the same profile curve that was serving as the machining boundary in the file above. It struggles at the same places where the machining boundary for the parallel pass runs into trouble. Zooming in on a couple of those points, I have found pairs of vertices which are extremely close together. The one at the tip of the beak is easiest to find. I have verified (on a different toolpath my reworked mesh, sorry) that removing the almost-duplicate points fixes the problems with the contour cut.

tobiashagge_3-1698287604402.png

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 11
tobiashagge

In case it is helpful, if the curve is an open chain you can find the problem points with the curve selector in the 2D contour geometry tab. Select the chain and then reverse the orientation. The reversed arrow will appear next to the first problematic point in the chain instead of at the other end of it.

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore

I don't think it's a toolpath bug, my suspicion is that it's a problem with the mesh model. What was the source of that mesh?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 11
tobiashagge

I started with a fusion body (it's in the design above), exported it to .obj, sculpted it in blender using blender sculpt tools, then exported to .obj and reimported into fusion. There's a remesh in the attached project, but the same issue occurs with or without that. For what it's worth I'm very new to blender.

I have another version of this project where I did the export-sculpt-import cycle a second time. In that one the 3d passes worked okay but the 2D contour cuts behaved erratically. In that case, in addition to breaks in the contour being created, the orientation was switched. See attached picture.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 185852.png

Message 11 of 11
seth.madore

The switching of the contours is not surprising. 

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report