Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotary pocket and contour won't go full depth

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
simonJJ273
130 Views, 7 Replies

Rotary pocket and contour won't go full depth

Hello,

Thanks for taking a look at my problem and please see attached fusion file.

Very simply, I have a cylindircal part with a deep groove in. Rotart pocket and contour quickly come-up with a reasonable looking toolpath but I can't get either to go full depth and finish off the "floor" of the groove. I intend to come back afterwards with a ball-nose to do the two fillets each end of the pocket but first I'm trying to finish the floor.

Thanks

Simon

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
marcus.toepke
in reply to: simonJJ273

As for I could see ...
1. your tool is to short under holder

2. Depth lining on floors (may be called differently in fusion, I use the German version.)

marcustoepke_0-1696244813128.png

Message 3 of 8
simonJJ273
in reply to: marcus.toepke

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the tool-height was a silly mistake. I've corrected that and have tried to achieve this with 4 operations:

1. rough pocket.

2. Finish floor

3. finish walls

4. Finish radii/fillets

None of these tool-paths are behaving as I would like.

If you would be willing to take another look and see if there is anything obvious that I'm doing wrong then that would be much appreciated. I've re-attached the file....

Message 4 of 8

Whats the issue? It simulates completely green on my end until the fillets (where you have a tool offset of 2mm)

You can also finish the floor by cutting the walls with a tool thats more than 1/2 the groove width. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look. I've moved this on a bit but I can't get the final operation with the ball nose cutter to finish the radii all the way up to the side wall?

Message 6 of 8
marcus.toepke
in reply to: simonJJ273

If you use fine steps to go down it works, see the file

Message 7 of 8

And here a secont version.
But here I use a trick, I copied the part in a manufacturing model and removed the radius in the ground.

This way the operation don't try to step down the radius and you can choose the step down how you like.

contra:

But this way the tool must have the radius that you want if it is finished.

pro:

you don't need this tiny steps from the first version

fortunately fusion does not know what the part really looks like 😉

Message 8 of 8

No need to remove it in the model. Just select the wall as your contour and the floor as your depth. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums