Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rookie Mistake?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Vintagetunes
385 Views, 9 Replies

Rookie Mistake?

Hi y'all!   I'm working on some large wall panels for a project at work, and I seem to have done something wrong, but I can't figure out exactly what it is.   I have the file setup to do a pocket for toolholder clearance, then a roughing pass, followed by a parallel finishing pass, and although it doesn't seem to show in simulation, either the roughing is too deep, or the finishing is too shallow.   I'm fairly new to ReSt machining in Fusion, so I'm wondering if I goofed it up there?

Thank y'all in advance for any tips!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: Vintagetunes

I'm having a bit of a mind bender trying to place your Fusion file in an arrangement that mimics your photo of the machined result 🤔

How are you restraining your part, is it on a vacuum table? The material appears to be a HDPE board of sorts, is that correct?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 10
seth.madore

Looking at the Roughing, it appears that you've been leaving over .400" in some areas, due to the nature of your 3D Pocket toolpath:

2023-09-06_10h33_27.png

It's possible that the finishing toolpath objected to this much material and the tool deflected away (doubtful). Or it's possible that leaving only .02" with the roughing was cutting it too close (haha, pun intended) and the material was pulling up. I would try to do a semi-finish toolpath with something that was a bit more organic in nature, able to follow the curves, leaving a bit more material for the finishing toolpath.

Yeah, it sucks with a 9 hr cycle time.....

It's not clear what side of the "stock on" is resulting in the image you shared.

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 10
Vintagetunes
in reply to: seth.madore

Here's another photo from a different angle if that helps a bit.  It's 3'' HDU (corafoam brand) held by vacuum.  The vacuum hold down was my first thought, but nothing seems to have moved.

Message 5 of 10
seth.madore

Alright, I've oriented your model to the photos and I'm seeing what's going on and where. One of two things have happened:

1) T2 was not touched off correctly, or has pulled out of the collet

2) The material has been lifting during the cut.

We can line up the areas where there was little material left and it coincides nicely with the finished result (well, nicely isn't the best word, since none of this is "nice"....)

2023-09-06_11h03_31.png

(little tip: don't attach photos as file attachments, it's just annoying for other users as they have to click on and wait for image to load. Just drag and drop into the reply area)

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 10
Vintagetunes

After examining the part further, I believe you're absolutely right! We're going to try again with a fresh spoilboard, and more stock to leave. The corafoam cuts so easily, that I could probably triple that .02 without issue. I really appreciate your help with troubleshooting this! I was starting to doubt reality lol.

(also, thanks for the photo tip 👍 I didn't realize that was an option)
Message 7 of 10
Vintagetunes

We tried again overnight, and it seems to be partially successful, but not entirely.  We decided to run a smaller part for the project, and it looks as if the finishing pass stopped before it was finished, and skipped to the 2D contour.  This setup is labeled "Panel S", and the simulation looks ok (with the exception of some minor shank collision that I wasn't too worried about in foam).   Could this be a post processing issue?

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

Message 8 of 10

Does your controller have a memory limit? If it's there in the program, it'll be there in the code (Try ncviwer.com to verify the backplot)

https://ncviewer.com/

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 9 of 10
seth.madore

@Vintagetunes refresh my memory, but what is your actual machine and control?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 10
Vintagetunes

We're running a Laguna SmartShop SUV with Syntec control.  I've been looking for more documentation for the controller, but it seems to be pretty scarce

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report