Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid Collisions in Adaptive Clearing

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
lexaedsall
210 Views, 10 Replies

Rapid Collisions in Adaptive Clearing

I am using Fusion360 for milling wood pieces - the pieces are somewhat irregular and modeled in Rhino.  I am having a hard time eliminating rapid collisions with stock on the adaptive clearing toolpaths.  I have searched the forums and found ways to reduce, but not eliminate these collisions.  It generally seems it would work if the path would just take smaller passes, but I don't know how to force that.  Alternatively, is there an alternative toolpath to use first to clear the way for adaptive?  This is coming up repeatedly for me - one example is in the first adaptive pass of setup2 in the attached.  https://a360.co/45uzLGM

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

We can't see anything from that link.
Ensure you are properly defining the Stock Contours and everything should be ok. Use 3D adaptive when possible. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: lexaedsall

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 11
lexaedsall

Thanks very much - does this attachment work?  I am using 3D adaptive - are stock contours relevant for that?  I'm new so not sure how they fit in.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 11
lexaedsall
in reply to: seth.madore

Yes - thank you - here it is

Message 6 of 11
lexaedsall

I posted a little earlier about rapid collisions on a 3d adaptive toolpath.  I am reposting with some screenshots and the file to give a little more information - one screenshot shows where I am getting the collision, and one shows the piece in rhino.  (This piece is relatively flat, so I just have one collision.  I have had more collisions I have not been able to resolve with pieces that angle more sharply into the stock.)  Thanks for any advice!

collision.JPGpiece.JPG

Message 7 of 11
seth.madore

I would start with a 2D Contour (with Ramp and Tabs turned on):

2023-10-17_14h22_05.png

We can then make some tweaks to the (2x) 3D Adaptive toolpaths and end up with only one small collision:

2023-10-17_14h52_41.png

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 11
seth.madore

If it's the same issues as the prior thread you started, it would be best to keep them in one thread

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 11
lexaedsall
in reply to: seth.madore

thanks so much - I really appreciate it.  What are the types of tweaks that can help with these collisions?  I have had greater numbers in other files.  

Message 10 of 11
seth.madore

The 2D Contour to clear around the outside helped a great deal. After that, I reduced the Max Stay Down and also changed it to Full Retraction instead of Minimum.

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 11
lexaedsall

great - thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report