Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid collision with stock

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
hilmerrex
367 Views, 14 Replies

Rapid collision with stock

Hi

I am an artstudent in Norway trying to complete a project for my degree show. 

1) Face mill step down in soft wood? 

Is 1,5 mm a lot to step down? I have a 2 flute 30mm face mill.

2) I keep getting "rapid collision with stock" problems when doing a parallel. I have tried to adjust the lead in and out and the heights in heights tab, but the only thing that helps me now is to ad a fillet of 7 (tool is 6 mm), but I am making at table and don´t want the sides of the table, which is going to be together to have an round edge. ( it is a round table with extension in the middle - and I am carving a textile and its folds into the table top)) I dont mind the outside to have a sort of round finish, but what is happening when applying Fillets of 7 mm in a parallel toolpath (tool is a 6 mm ball end mill)?

I have tried to make a 8 mm contour to help the collisions in parallel, but it is not helping much. And how bad is 1 collision with stoch in Birch wood?

Thank you so much in advance. I really appreciate this forum!

Sarah

My file is too big to attach...

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

1.5 is not a lot, but depends more on your machine then the tool. Start low, adjust by ear. 

It will collide on the outside. Is the table already cut to shape? 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 15
hilmerrex
in reply to: hilmerrex

Thank you!

I only need 1,5mm and the machine is strong. I am using a: https://www.multicamgl.com/product/apex3r-cnc-router/. I just did not want to break the tool.

And no, I have not used a contour before parallel this time. I have tried to cut 18 mm down with a 8 mm flat end mill before starting the parallel, but it seems it is not doing any difference. I have done a smaller test earlier on and on the test a contour before parallel helped. But now I can only get rid of the collisions with stock if I use fillet (7mm) with a 6 mm ball end tool. But I dont really know how it will effect the look and I would rather not use it.

Thank you so much for helping, I am new to cnc but doing my first bigger project and I have no one to ask. 

I managed to get the file smaller by removing toolpaths on two of the tabletop sections. It is mostly the round edged that are difficult. But now the file is attached

All the best 

Sarah

Message 4 of 15
hilmerrex

I just tried to cut with a contour first and then the parallel without fillet. It still makes collisions. I just wish I understood what the fillets do that make the big difference. How will the look be altered?

Message 5 of 15
seth.madore

What exactly do you mean by "the fillets" (in regards to the Parallel toolpath)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 15
seth.madore

If you're referring to the Lead-In radii moves, it will not have any effect on the finished part, as it's just providing a safe/gentle method of entry to the final part profile.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 15
hilmerrex

ah sorry!

Under the passes tab there is an option to use Fillets in the parallel toolpath. I can simulate it,  but I am not sure what effect it will have on the table.

Message 8 of 15
hilmerrex

Its just funny that it takes away all the collisons with stock - when I have a 7 mm fillet and a 6 mm tool

Message 9 of 15
seth.madore

Ah, that Fillets option. That option will insert Fillets wherever there's a sharp internal corner. For this part, I'd likely not recommend turning that feature on...

I'm recalculating the toolpath now with Fillets, it will take a bit of time before I know what difference (if any) is put into the part.

The reason you're getting rapid collisions is because the Parallel toolpath (like all of the 3D finishing toolpaths) is not considerate of the Stock. It only checks against the stock when it comes time for simulation, not when it's calculating the toolpath.

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 15
hilmerrex

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your help. 

So, should I be nervous when having the collisions with stock? Is there a chance the tool will break? I am using soft wood: Birch.

The mesh I am carving is too complicated to generate a 3D adaptive ( I have tried) It takes soooooo long. But should I try to clear of some material with another toolpath first?

Message 11 of 15
hilmerrex

Hi again

I am doing something really wrong if I raise the lead in and lead out to 100mm... It works at that hight. Then I have vo collisons. Do you understand why?

Message 12 of 15

probably  because you're now leading in and cutting into your stock from above.

Just do a few 2D contours around your shape (or model the stock as it really is) and it will be ok. Add more passes wherever the surfacing is colliding with the shank. 

Again, is your stock in real life a rectangle, or something cut roughly to size of your table? 

Message 13 of 15

Thank you so much! The stock is sqare. More or less like on the drawing. 
Is it possible to do 1 contour and then do another one a bit futter out? So I kind of offset the entire contour? So if I have a tool which is 6 mm and I then make a contour toolpath and then afterwards offsets it with 6 mm and then makes another contour toolpath with a 6 mm tool so I end up with a contour of 12 mm. Or do I need to make another sketch to make the “offset” contour. I hope my question makes sense. 

All the best and Thank you so much! 
sarah

Message 14 of 15

2D contour along the outside and enable Roughing Passes. Then above, on finish stepover set it to 6mm.

programming2C78B_0-1700742871311.png

Message 15 of 15
hilmerrex

Thank you so much! Very important lesson, which I will remember!

The contour does not effect the collisions no matter how I make it, but the collisions go away when the lead in and out is above 90mm so I am really happy that I can get started without the fillets! 

Really appreciate all the help!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums