Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius mill with tip length, offset the bottom?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bentwookie
128 Views, 4 Replies

Radius mill with tip length, offset the bottom?

Howdy. A quick question about tool paths with radius mills. I'm looking to cut a simple rounded edge around a contour. I have a radius mill with the correct radius, but it has .075" of extra "tip length" to it (so the actual cutting radius is a skosh up the shaft). I'm able to define all the correct parameters for the tool: 

bentwookie_0-1703128405280.png

The problem comes when I use the 2D contour to do the cut. I select the tool and the bottom contour. Without further instruction, the tool cuts too high:

bentwookie_1-1703128492212.png

If I offset the bottom height by the "tip length" (.075") I get the right path.

bentwookie_2-1703128537571.png

bentwookie_3-1703128564829.png

My question to you all is, having modeled the cutter, is offsetting the bottom the right way to do this?

I believe some specific settings will appear when working with chamfer mills that seems to take their geometry into account. Is there something like that for rounding mills I should be using instead of offsetting the bottom manually?

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
matty.fuller
in reply to: bentwookie

There's nothing invalid about this approach, but if you have to do a lot of programming with the tool it may be error prone. 

I believe you can define it as a form tool instead and you'll have the ability to define the control point, which would make it run off the bottom edge of the fillet with no offset. You'd only need to do this once.

Message 3 of 5
Don.Cyr

@bentwookie Definitely a bit of a drawback that Fusion doesn't take the tip length into account when calculating Z depth but you can do as @matty.fuller suggested and model it as a form tool or set an expression in your bottom height offset

"-tool_tipLength" to automatically add in the tip length from the cutter tab in the tool library *Don't forget the minus sign*.. 

DonCyr_0-1703176081480.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if I helped with your question or issue.
Message 4 of 5

ours only have a .005 lead in so I just program it as an absolute value based off the model top ie: -.037 for a 1/32 rad. You can then save this as a template, or store it as a note/comment in the actual tool library. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 5 of 5
bentwookie

These are just the suggestions I was hoping for. Thanks everyone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report