Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

radial toolpath won't touch my model.

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
nocturnalwelding
612 Views, 20 Replies

radial toolpath won't touch my model.

Hey everyone. 

I'm wanting to use the radial toolpath to face my model, because it looks cool. No matter what i do i can't get the tool to touch my model in cam, Even if I minus a inch it won't touch. I actually cnc this part on my haas vf1 and i had to offset the tool by -.002 for the path to work. Thanks guys.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

I'm confused as to what the problem is now.
I see a screenshot with a toolpath that seems alright from the looks of it?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 21

@nocturnalwelding wrote:

Even if I minus a inch it won't touch. I actually cnc this part on my haas vf1 and i had to offset the tool by -.002 for the path to work. Thanks guys.

Where did you set the -1 offset? Did you use the Axial Stock to leave to allow the cutter to cut below the model top? Also how have you set your origin in the setup? Is it set to model top or stock top, is the origin above the top of the model to generate a -Z cut? And how have you touched off on the machine, is Z zero the top of the stock so you need a -Z to actually take a cut?

HughesTooling_0-1685963409717.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 21

Ok so I set the- z offset in the haas control under wear for my tool.

Didn't click stock to leave.

origin is model top.

In the machine it would be the top of the stock for the part and top of the table for tools. 

The thing is though that in fusion the tool is not taking material. When I simulate there is no color difference from the tool taking material, And that translates to real life. If I drop my bottom height the tool still won't touch in fusion. mmm weird.

Message 5 of 21

@nocturnalwelding wrote:

Ok so I set the- z offset in the haas control under wear for my tool.

If I drop my bottom height the tool still won't touch in fusion. mmm weird.

No, not weird. The top of the model in Fusion is Z0.0 so no matter where you set the bottom height it will only create a toolpath on the top of the model, so Z0.0. The only way you'll get a cut is if you either set the origin to Stock Top and have a stock top offset or you use Stock to Leave and set a minus Z.

Origin at stock top with stock top offset 1.0mm for example.

HughesTooling_0-1685975370153.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 21

What does the origin have to do with anything?
If you set the top of the operation to anything above the model it should machine it no matter where the origin is.

Can you please share the model, or a mock-up of what you are doing it seems like this should be really easy to fix once we know what is going wrong.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 7 of 21

@Laurens-3DTechDraw wrote:

What does the origin have to do with anything?

If the origin is on the top of the model the op will produce code at Z0.0, this might cut depending on how well everything is setup (any wear on cutter etc.).  If the Origin is set to stock top and the stock is 1mm above the top of the model it is going to cut no matter what! That's what I'm pointing out. Just setting the bottom height to -1 will never make a difference as the toolpath will always be on the top face of the model.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 21

Here's just a hunch, but do you have your Stock modeled and selected in your Setup under your "Model" tab? If so, no amount of "offset" value is going to work, I don't think....

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 21
HughesTooling
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore wrote:

Here's just a hunch, but do you have your Stock modeled and selected in your Setup under your "Model" tab? If so, no amount of "offset" value is going to work, I don't think....

Says above the origin in Fusion is set to model top and top of stock on machine is Z0.0 so it might rub if all is 100% accurate!

With Fusion set up like that it will not show any material remove in the sim either. Needs the origin above the model (or setup on the machine with a positive stock top offset). Or just use a negative Axial Stock to leave. 

HughesTooling_0-1685976876283.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 21

So the radial is my 2nd tool operation of 11 under this setup. Is that the correct terminology? If I change my stock in the setup won't that ruin the 10 other operations?

Message 11 of 21

My stock is fixed sized box. The model is 2" thick and the stock is 2" thick. I wanted to take 2 thou off.

Message 12 of 21

Wonder if I could create a surface and offset it -.002 below the model top and select it? I tried making a offset plane but it wouldn't let me select it.

Message 13 of 21

@nocturnalwelding wrote:

So the radial is my 2nd tool operation of 11 under this setup. Is that the correct terminology? If I change my stock in the setup won't that ruin the 10 other operations?

If you had 0.002 stock top offset all ops would machine 0.002 deep so the part would end up correct.

HughesTooling_0-1685978298767.png

The other option is use Stock to leave in just the radial op and set to -0.002 but that would mean the top face ends up at -0.002. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 21

@nocturnalwelding could you just share your file here so we can cut right to the problem solving and move beyond guessing?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 21

@nocturnalwelding wrote:

My stock is fixed sized box. The model is 2" thick and the stock is 2" thick. I wanted to take 2 thou off.

If you're using a fixed box it's a bit different. You,d need to set the height to 2.002 then set the model position then set the offset to zero because the default is centre and when you change the model position it automatically sets the offset to half the difference. Experiment with a bigger size so you can see what's going on.

HughesTooling_0-1685978492501.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 21

it IS touching your model. Your stock is just exactly the same height. That's all it is - "nothing" would be cut away in Simulation. In real life we always touch off stock then come down -.005 on the control to clean up.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 17 of 21

Hey guys thanks for the help. I'm busy machining the part. I'll try the things suggested at the end of the day. Thanks.

Message 18 of 21

Here's the file. Thanks.

Message 19 of 21

I just finished op 2 and it actually touched and faced the material, so that was a win.

Message 20 of 21

Using your file, if I put in a -.003" Axial Stock to Leave, it certainly goes .003 below the top surface:

2023-06-05_15h53_18.png

2023-06-05_15h53_44.png

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums