Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Properly selecting area to machine in Manufacturing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
litodrums
161 Views, 6 Replies

Properly selecting area to machine in Manufacturing

Hello, Happy Holidays

I have Cad a model to machine but I am having an issue selecting only certain areas to machine.  I have three machining operations. One is the Crown which is fine. The next operation is Brian Cup Insert. I only want to machine the cup but not the thin cut area. The third operation is Brians Thin Cut which functions correctly but I want to machine both ends. Right now I only have one end.

I am including my file for review and any input you can offer.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

for #2 simply Avoid the 4 faces (what you call a thin cut)

For #3, I don't know what you mean by "both ends". The actual end of the part? The top flats? 

programming2C78B_0-1703868544874.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 7

my apologies for not explaining myself correctly. The machine cut call Brians Thin Cut I want to duplicate on the opposite end of the piece with the same parameters. How do I duplicate the machine action??

The other explanation you gave me dealing with Brian Cup Insert helped. Thank you

Thank you

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: litodrums

@litodrums wrote:

my apologies for not explaining myself correctly. The machine cut call Brians Thin Cut I want to duplicate on the opposite end of the piece with the same parameters. How do I duplicate the machine action??

Are you wanting to duplicate the toolpath in an area of the part where that feature doesn't exist?

You can't duplicate a 3D toolpath if that feature doesn't exist (at least not easily and with any model awareness). You're going to want to model the features you need to machine.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: litodrums

Technically, you could create a midplane surface and then do a Mirror operation. This would permit you to by-pass the model changes..

2023-12-29_13h50_55.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7
litodrums
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you very much I will work on this today.

Message 7 of 7
litodrums
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello Seth, it took me several tries but I created the mirror operation. I will run a test piece this afternoon on my CNC.
Thank you very much for your input I appreciate it very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report