Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Trace toolpath

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
user86041
164 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with Trace toolpath

Hi all, I would be very appreciate if anyone had any ideas here.

I was working all day on using the trace toolpath to engrave aluminum and I had a setup that was working very well.

All of a sudden I posted gcode and the Z of my CNC would not go below .15mm.  I looked in the gcode and indeed Z does not go below .15.  This is very strange because I had used the exact same process before and the gcode posted fine and the CNC cut properly.

The absolute strangest thing though, is that I checked the previous .nc files I'd generated and it seems they all had the same Z .15 now rather than what it had been doing before.  I used these files to cut properly!  Is it possible F360 overwrote these files somehow?

I am using a very small axial offset of -.05mm and then multiple passes (2) of .1 for subsequent cuts.

I would appreciate any input anyone has here.  

I'm attaching the file in case anyone cares to have a look.

best,

Joe

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: user86041

Unless you've defined an Axial offset or negative Axial Stock to Leave, the Trace toolpath will go exactly to the planar sketch or edge that you've selected. Looking at your file, it's doing exactly what I'd expect to see..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
user86041
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you for your reply.

I set a negative axial offset in the trace toolpath of -.05mm and 2 stepdowns of .1mm.  Is my understanding incorrect that this should produce 3 cuts?  1 at .05mm then 2 at .11mm?

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

It does, it's buried in the part. Turn off model visibility to see it:

2023-01-17_18h44_41.png

This third cut is at -.05mm 

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 7
user86041
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you so much for your attention to this.

Could you explain to me how I would create 3 cuts - the first at .05mm below stock, then .1mm below that cut, then .1mm below that cut?

I'm not sure how I managed to get this working before but now can't!

Message 6 of 7
seth.madore

If your Axial Offset is set to -.25, your first pass will be at -.05, second will be at -.15 and third will be at -.25mm

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 7
DarthBane55

This won't solve your issue (which Seth solved), but is just a suggestion when engraving.  I moved from trace to project, because this has a few advantages:

-Your sketch or edges don't have to be on the exact Z level that you want to engrave (it will project your sketch to the model face it sees).

-It works for any weird surfaces, not just flat surfaces (because it projects the edges to the model).

-For the rest, it has the same functionality as what you are used to with trace.

Just a suggestion, because I was using trace before and realized that project was working a bit better for the purpose of engraving.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report